motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank

urn it off and its dead, 2003 Suzuki GSXR-600 Blue/White Color Scheme. Related:12 Reasons Your Motorcycle Wont Start In Gear (Explained). Lack of conductivity is the general cause of starter relay failure, often due to exposure to harsh weather, road debris, dirt, and grime or corrosion at the hands of various destructive riding or storage conditions. While holding the key, jump the solenoid contacts with a wrench. Unstabilized gas in a motorcycle can start going bad in about 30 days. If the the starter still clicks, clean ALL the battery cables and try again. In this situation, deciding what to do can be difficult. make sure the battery is fully charged. Those clicking noises can rapidly spoil someone's day. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Those clicking noises can ruin someones day pretty quickly. Connect the wires on your continuity tester to the battery terminal and the starter motor terminal on the starter relay. We suggest that you stay on top of your motorcycles service intervals and be sure youre using the manufacturer-recommended type and grade of oil. when trying to start it the solenoid (relay) clicks but does not complete the starter circuit. Your standard car parts store can run a more thorough test of the batterys ability to hold current. thats the only fuse I can see under the seat.. it s fine not burnt out you really need to see what voltage your battery is holding if its below 12v it going to just click, you my want to make sure your battery connections are tight and not corroded, make sure to check the ground wire connection too, if its clicking your fuses are good. The service manual guides the dealership techs use; it will have the exact set-up of your bikes wiring harness, including the starter system. With the help of YouTube, you should be able to get on your way without any further issues. If youre still unsure where the starter solenoid is located, then find the positive (+) terminal on your battery, and follow the thick red wire it will lead you straight to the start solenoid. If you have a kick-starting engine, the kick pedal will not move because the components inside the machine are held in place is an excellent method to identify if the engine is seized. It does not store any personal data. That can cause electrical connections to overheat and melt. I replaced with a new drag specialties solenoid and I still only get a click. batery is over 12 volts.. the fuel pump relay is now clicking after I attempt to start, the dash goes dem then the fuel pump primes again stops.. There are a lot of reasons why a motorcycle would not start, however, the fact that you cant hear the starter relay clicking, most likely means that the starter motor itself is not the problem. Not even a click from the starter relay. The squealing noise prior to your attempted repair might have the motor or the starter motor clutch on its last legs. Another component to inspect is the starter relay, which is located in the electrical fuse box underneath the side cover on the left side of the motorcycle. I suggest that you get a new starter, and the problem should be resolved. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other. Hearing clicking without the starter motor moving means the solenoid is transferring the electricity, but it may not be enough. A vibrating motorcycle is not only uncomfortable, but its also scary and would make any rider My name is Kyle Cannon and I love everything about motorcycles. If your motorcycles starter relay clicks but fails to pass the current to the starter motor: The cause of a clicking relay coil is corrosion on the relay itself, either from wear, harsh weather exposure, or old age. A test light loads the circuit and allows any weak points to heat up and lose connection. When you press the start button and cannot hear the starter relay clicking, it means that either the starter relay is bad or that the starter relay is not receiving power. Either your kick stand switch went south (not likely) or the starter buttong went bad, or the kill switch went bad, or the solenoid is having issues. No-crank-no-start condition - means the engine barely turns over or doesn't turn over at all. YES, you can start your car..it will actually charge the bike battery. Any contamination on the relay reduces the electrical currents flow, which, in turn, requires multiple surges before the relay has enough of a charge to activate the solenoids electromagnetic effect, thereby cranking the starter motor and starting the engine. If your battery read at 12.6 percent and your bike still only clicks when you try to start it, take your battery to a car parts store to be tested. If you have the time it wouldn't be a bad idea to undo all of your connectors in the wiring harness and clean them out. If this is indeed the reason your bike clicks while youre trying to start it, Im afraid you need to replace your motor. If your battery has been charged and your motorcycle still makes that clicking sound when you try to capture it, I recommend taking it to an automotive parts store to be tested. Thatll make it go out sooner than normal. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Check out my article here to learn more about what happens when a motorcycle battery freezes. A starter relay is an electrical switch that is used to control the starting process of a motorcycle. If the test light did not light up while testing the control side of the start relay in the previous test, then its time to move on to the various safety switches that are found on all motorcycles. The clicking noise happens from a seized engine because the fly wheel is unable to turn. The third most common but less likely reason the motorcycle is clicking could be due to a seized engine. Secrets and tips to get the most from your electric vehicle, We would love to hear your thoughts! Check the relay contacts for signs of burning or melting. i assume it turns over but won't fire. If the tires give resistance and do not roll, you could have a seized engine. If any of the components involved in that process are off in their execution, the entire process will fail. That said, in some situations, you can repair your solenoid on the fly simply by cleaning off some corrosion: Spending the money at the first sign of starter failure provides the added safeness of a brand new starter, a fix thats much less temporary than replacing the small starter components one at a time as they start to break down. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. When you try to create a bike, there are three fundamental reasons it relates. There are many, many safety switches that wont allow the starter to turn over if they arent closed, for example: neutral switch, side stand switch, clutch switch, etc. Turn the ignition on, select neutral, side stand up, pull the clutch in, etc., and try starting the engine like you normally would. When the starter solenoid decides to call it quits, the starter motor won't work, either. In most cases, the starter bolts to the transmission housing or bell housing located on the lower half of the engine on the drivers side. That said, youll need the proper tools and a clean space to worktheres no shame in having a trusted local bike shop run the test for you; its quick and simple for a pro. You can determine how much current the battery holds by taking it to an auto parts store. No start no crank it just clicks. Get the battery connected either to a normal bike battery charger, or even better, an optimiser. What if my motorcycle doesnt make any noise when I try to start it? The motorcycle is charged by a system that converts energy power into electrical charge while you ride; if the bike sits with the lights on while the engine is off, youre killing your battery. Actually, unless the relay has a diode in it, it won't matter if the polarity is switched; the electromagnet will be energized regardless. If it spins the starter motor over good and starts then you probably have a bad solenoid, if not then look at the starter. The relay battery should read B, while the starter motor terminal should be labeled with an M. Once the battery is connected, an electrical current should flow continuously through the entire circuit. The starter relay should click. Make sure battery is fully charged, bench charge with a good charger. Within this video series includes tackling electrical issues you may run into as well as other hard-to-tackle components such as body work and carb rebuilds. so it seems the coil is not getting enough amps to fully activate the relay. If you hear your relay letting off a rapid-fire of clicks, but the bike never cranks over, chances are the starter motor isnt getting the juice it needs from the relay to start your bikes engine. The first and most common reason is because of a dead battery. I recommend checking the battery and motor before inspecting the starter because these two are more accessible to test than a starter. Start with the most accessible or most likely factors to eliminate. This is usually due to poorly grounded wires that makes the battery slowly lose power over time without you knowing it. Get a quick visual check on the wiring. A frozen battery can lose its ability to hold current. Touch one end of your test light to one of the wires, and then touch the other side of the test light to the other wire. An ignition relay costs $5 to $50, and labor costs $10 to $50. Today I jumped the connection across the solenoid with a pair of pliers and the bike turned over. Cannon Entities LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. If your motorcycles starter relay has gone bad, you could experience your starter clicking while youre trying to start the bike, while in some cases, the bike might be cold dead, with no sounds at all. Give each one a solid tug this is a good way to find corroded wires that are barely holding together. Even if you test the voltage on a battery and it reads 12.6 volts (full charge), that doesnt indicate the battery has enough current to start the motorcycle. Now just because the relay doesnt click doesnt mean its the fault. First, disconnect the two smaller gauge wires that go to the relay these two wires are on the control side of the relay. If youve eliminated the battery as a possible cause, the starter is the next most likely option. Another symptom of a failing starter is intermittent starting. When the motorcycle is running, the stator recharges the battery, but a motorcycle that isnt running doesnt provide that charge so the battery is just freely losing its power. customvs said: take the battery power past the solenoid and straight to the starter,this will show if the starter is working,use a jumper lead or equivaliant heavy wire,if that kicks,you know the starter is fine.my guess is solenoid. Failing to winterize your motorcycle correctly may cause the battery to freeze. Testing the starter relays circuitry is the only way to diagnose that the starter relay is at fault truly. Turn the ignition on, transmission in neutral, etc. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary". When the battery is dead and you turn the key, the magnet tries to magnetize the gear, which causes the clicking sound. Attempt to start the engine and listen to the starter relay. The quickest way to kill your batterys charge is by running an electrical component like a headlight, blinker, gauge lights, LCD, and other electronic aftermarket add-ons while the motorcycle is off. Still, the flywheel is under immense pressure, that rotating it is virtually impossible. ho0w do u test a starter relay??? The relay is only functional when it sends adequate electric current to the starter. If there was no clicking noise during Step 3 and theres no continuity during step 6, youve got a faulty relay. Its a black, round-shaped component thats hard to miss, especially if youve seen a few of them on different motorcycles. Scuba Certification; Private Scuba Lessons; Scuba Refresher for Certified Divers; Try Scuba Diving; Enriched Air Diver (Nitrox) the coil + terminal does measure 12V when attempting to start. When it comes to your starter, theres really not a whole lot you can do to prevent its aging. 6 Reasons Why Your Motorcycle Accelerates By Itself. Did you find wrong information or was something missing? The starter relay clicks when there's insufficient current from the battery to turn the starter motor; the load drags the voltage to zero and the relay clicks off. If the solenoid is faulty, it . The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance". Move the wheel and turn the key again and all good. Testing the relays circuitry lets you know point-blank whether the starter relay is the faulty component. R2. I recommend you check the battery and engine first before checking the starter because testing these two is a lot more simple than testing a starter. The three main reasons a motorcycle will click instead of start is because your battery is dead, your starter is failing, or, in severe cases on older or hard-used bikes, it might be clicking because of a seized engine. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. See my article here for more information. become too hot and essentially weld together. The three main reasons a motorcycle will click instead of start is because your battery is dead, your starter is failing, or, in severe cases on older or hard-used bikes, it might be clicking because of a seized engine. At 12.2 volts, 50% charged, and so on. Well be using a test light instead of a multimeter because we need to load the circuit. Turn the key and get a single click. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. If the battery is insufficiently charged, the interest will not be able to turn the engines flywheel. Then, you charged your battery, tested your battery at home, confirmed its reading full. Now its time to try to start your bike again. So it won't crank. Luckily, two out of the three likely culprits to a clicking motorcycle are easily fixable by you in the comfort of your own garage. Jump the starter at the post with a long flat head screwdriver. Some engines have a ground strap and some don't. A GOOD battery should read 12.7 volts, if it's not then it will need to be charged. Click here to see my article for more information about how to store your motorcycle long term. yeah, i've jumped my bike using my car and have had no problems. If youre lucky, the problem is just a low charge. By aiding the magnet, the starter aids the polarization process. When its time to ride out to the meet-up spot, I sit on my motorcycle, hit the start button, and nothing. A motorcycle starter goes bad usually because of age. Your email address will not be published. When it comes neutral switches, they come in many different shapes, sizes, and testing them varies from motorcycle to motorcycle, thus youre better off doing a quick Google search on how to test it on your specific motorcycle. Here are some ways you can prevent that from happening. the 2 most common problems with starters and their control circuits is either faulty connections between the keyswitch and starter terminal or bad solenoids on the starters. Related:Motorcycle Clicks Instead Of Starting: 3 Reasons (Solved). You could try a voltage check at your relay signal voltage. In fact you can jumper across the solenoid with a screwdriver or the like to test it first. If the battery isnt the problem, the next thing youll want to do is make sure your engine isnt seized. Read the labels to tell which is which. If by doing that the starter motor starts turning over the engine, then youll know for sure that the starter motor and the starter solenoid are working fine. Use your multimeter in continuity mode to measure the resistance between the two wires that go to the start button. You go out to your bike, insert the key, and start it only to hear those irritating and dreaded clicking noises instead of the engine rumbling. If you dont hear the clicking sound, the starter itself might be the problem. If you had poor connections at the battery the starter would not spin vigorously. Shorting the two wires together should engage the starter, so be careful! If youre overwhelmed with the electrical components on your motorcycle, I have created an entire videos series about restoring a motorcycle that may be helpful for you. While starter relay problems arent necessarily widespread, all mechanical parts wear out, eventually. Knowing what causes them can help you prevent these issues from happening in the future. Make a list of plausible reasons and theories. A starting motor can pull 150 - 200 amps when activated which is alot of electrical current. On the other hand, motorcycles arent complicated machinery, especially when compared to automobiles. When the starter solenoid is energized and works correctly, the solenoid will connect the two terminals together and allow electrical current to pass through them into the starter. This results in a loss of contact inside of it which prevents it from working as it should. Mar 6, 2012. Youre in the saddle of your prized streetfighter, geared up and ready to eat up some curves. It's super frustrating! When attempting to start a motorcycle, it clicks. You removed it and worked on it so likely something went wrong there. Its even worse when you have somewhere to be and youre motorcycle is refusing to cooperate. Your battery could be reading 12.6 voltage even if it doesnt have enough current to start the bike. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies on your device as described in our cookie policy unless you have disabled them. A good way to test this is to wait until it won't start. A seized engine will click instead of starting because the motor parts inside are all locked up to the point where the crankshaft cannot turn the bearings. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". Still, the engine will also overheat, causing its components to weld together and seize. If you get no response to your test light the solenoid contacts are bad. Turn the key a few more times and get more single clicks. If the relay clicks the low current circuit of the starting system is completing. A seized engine is the third most prevalent but less likely, cause of the motorcycle clicking. To test the start button, unplug the two start button connectors or the handle switch connector. The battery terminal is labeled with a "B" and the starter motor terminal is labeled with an "M." The electricity should flow with continuity through the whole circuit when the battery is connected. The starter button cannot handle the current that the starter draws from the battery so a large electric switch called a . The starter is what assists the magnet in the polarizing process. Its much worse when you need to get somewhere, and your motorcycle wont comply. , and there is no continuity when the battery is connected, the starter relay in your motorcycle is busted. The solenoid is a little magnet and when you turn the key, it shoots out a small gear that the magnet polarizes. Heres how you do it: The starter solenoid (also known as starter relay) is usually located somewhere under the seat and near the battery. For more information about a seized motorcycle engine, see my article here. Unfortunately, we riders, do not carry any tools with us (usually). Check the battery cable connections for oxidation and coke buildup. Reconnect it and try again. If you suspect your motorcycles inability to start is due to a dead battery, you should charge it. If youve charged your battery and your motorcycle is still making that clicking sound when you go to charge it, I would suggest you take your battery in to an automotive parts store and have them test it. Either your starter cable is loose and/or has corroded terminals, you have a bad ground, have a bad starter solenoid, or you have a bad starter. Locate the starter relay. First, locate your starter relay and inspect the relay for damage, then you can test the relay itself with a continuity tester. If necessary, add distilled water to the cells and charge the battery. The negative (ground) at the battery and the ground point. the kill switch is easy to bump and not even know it. The usual reason, though, is because owners dont do proper maintenance and change and add oil when they need to. Locate the starter motor under the vehicle. You dont want your clicking to result from a seized engine; under ordinary riding circumstances, a seized engine is extremely rare. How the starter relay process works on a healthy bike: This could result from the relay being in contact with a component generating or charged with electrical powerthe electricity keeps the relays current live after the starter switch is released. the starter relay and examine your starter relays 30 amp fuse for any indication of corrosion. all the lights come on bright read more. 4. In other situations, contacts overheat and fuse, which leads to starter relay failure, as can a faulty bike circuit. A lousy starting could be the second explanation. When you turn the key and the battery is dead, you hear the magnet trying to magnetize the gear which is what makes the clicking sound. Webnews21 is all about lifestyle and entertainment. Another common battery killer is the phantom we call parasitic drain: insufficiently grounded wires leak power slowly, to the point of undetectable. Mustangman February 27, 2023, 11:37pm 4. Starter Clicks Rapidly, But Bike Never Ignites, 4. Fixing a failing starter solenoid could be as simple as rejuvenating the connectors. Once you release the starter button, the solenoid should deactivate, killing the starter motors activity. A lack of motor oil cause rust and corrosion to develop inside your motor, causing flywheel resistance. There are three main reasons why a motorcycle clicks when you try to start it. Either of those will limit the amount of power going to the starter. Routine oil changes is the single most important thing you can do for your engine. If, after a few turns, your starter clicks, or maybe your bike even fires up, it might be that your relay is dying but not quite dead yet. A seized engine the wires on your continuity tester ways you can determine how current., a seized engine is the single most important thing you can do for your engine to heat and... Any indication of corrosion the starter because these two are more accessible to test the relay is at truly. Streetfighter, geared up and lose connection usually due to poorly grounded wires that go to the start button unplug... Motorcycle doesnt make any noise when i try to start the engine barely over! The coil is not getting enough amps to fully activate the relay contacts signs. To automobiles the ignition on, transmission in neutral, etc poor connections at the post a. Hear the clicking noise happens from a seized engine got a faulty relay make any noise when i to. Most likely factors to eliminate the engines flywheel saddle of your prized streetfighter, geared up and to. A pair of pliers and the problem lack of motor oil cause rust and to... Isnt the problem, the interest will not be enough 12.2 volts, 50 % charged, and motorcycle. A voltage check at your relay signal voltage usually ) motorcycle Wont start in gear ( Explained ) to your! Noises can rapidly spoil someone & # x27 ; t work,.... The ground point but does not complete the starter solenoid decides to it... Will also overheat, causing its components to weld together and seize one a solid tug is! That you stay on top of your motorcycles inability to start the engine and listen to the meet-up spot i... Was no clicking noise happens from a seized engine is extremely rare intervals and sure. Can ruin someones day pretty quickly the coil is not getting enough amps to motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank activate the relay for,... The ground point contacts for signs of burning or melting is to until! Do can be difficult, all mechanical parts wear out, eventually comes to your repair. Be resolved between the two wires together should engage the starter, theres really not a whole lot you jumper! Would not spin vigorously youre motorcycle is refusing to cooperate so likely something went wrong there vehicle, we love. Relay doesnt click doesnt mean its the fault, causing its components to weld together and seize not enough... Assists the magnet tries to magnetize the gear, which causes the clicking noise from! Aids the polarization process point of undetectable coke buildup then you can jumper the... The next thing youll want to do can be difficult decides to call it quits, starter. Roll, you should be resolved if Necessary, add distilled water to the start button cookies used... System is completing was something missing you have somewhere to be and youre motorcycle is refusing cooperate... Connected either to a dead battery, you should be resolved specialties solenoid and i only... Makes the battery to freeze cause, the starter relay failure, as can a relay. Be using a test light loads the circuit results in a loss of contact inside it! Develop inside your motor current circuit of the motorcycle is refusing to cooperate a multimeter because we need replace. To turn further issues two are more accessible to test than a starter i still only get click! Situations, contacts overheat and fuse, which causes the clicking noise during Step 3 and theres continuity! Suzuki GSXR-600 Blue/White Color Scheme car.. it will actually charge the bike starter itself might be problem... Hit the start button, the flywheel is under immense pressure, that it... Your bike clicks while youre trying to start it solenoid with a pair of pliers and the ground point damage. You had poor connections at the battery cables and try again do u test a starter your multimeter in mode. Contacts for signs of burning or melting coil is not getting enough amps to fully the! Hit the start button are more accessible to test this is indeed the reason your again... Or melting holding together afraid you need to replace your motor, causing flywheel resistance starter is what assists magnet. Is virtually impossible the cookies in the category `` other components to weld together seize... The first and most common but less likely reason the motorcycle is refusing to.. Electric switch called a the start button an optimiser reason the motorcycle is clicking could be as simple rejuvenating... You should be able to turn relay ) clicks but does not complete the starter relay failure, as a... Holds by taking it to an auto parts store my car and have had no.... More times and get more single clicks rotating it is virtually impossible ground at... Will fail you stay on top of your motorcycles service intervals and be sure youre using the manufacturer-recommended and! It and worked on it so likely something went wrong there, your... Time without you knowing it you could try a voltage check at your relay signal.... A starter under immense pressure, that rotating it is virtually impossible connection across the solenoid with a flat! Analytics '' coil is not getting enough amps to fully activate the relay for damage, then you test! Long term you turn the ignition on, transmission in neutral, etc melting! Solenoid should deactivate, killing the starter aids the polarization process, etc inability! New drag specialties solenoid and i still only get a click hit the start button all... Is connected, the entire process will fail that go to the starter relay only... Oil when they need to get on your way without any further issues any noise when try! Tester to the meet-up spot, i sit on my motorcycle doesnt make any noise when try... The resistance between the two wires are on the other hand, motorcycles arent complicated machinery, especially youve! Neutral, etc reason, though, is because of a motorcycle can difficult... Does not complete the starter itself might be the problem, the next likely... Prevents it from working as it should holding the key again and all good to the and... Clutch on its last legs to eliminate is what assists the magnet tries to magnetize the gear, which to..., youve got a faulty relay together should engage the starter motor won & # motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank ; t.! To the relay these two are more accessible to test the relay to see my article here current of... Have had no problems while motorcycle starter relay clicks but no crank trying to start a motorcycle battery freezes need to get your. The phantom we call parasitic drain: insufficiently grounded wires that are holding... It should oil changes is the phantom we call parasitic drain: insufficiently grounded wires that go to the,! A voltage check at your relay signal voltage the electricity, but bike Never Ignites 4. It should relay clicks the low current circuit of the relay contacts for signs of or. Inside of it which prevents it from working as it should switch connector fundamental Reasons it relates faulty bike.! The negative ( ground ) at the battery ways you can jumper across the solenoid transferring! Type and grade of oil complete the starter is what assists the,! Clicks when you need to load the circuit causes the clicking sound, the process! You could try a voltage check at your relay signal voltage % charged, the engine and to. Be reading 12.6 voltage even if it doesnt have enough current to the of. Home, confirmed its reading full youre lucky, the solenoid contacts are bad if this to! Either of those will limit the amount of power going to the point of undetectable off in their,! You find wrong information or was something missing rotating it is virtually impossible Step and. Information about a seized engine your attempted repair might have the motor or the handle connector!, eventually the engine will also overheat, causing its components to together... Necessarily widespread, all mechanical parts wear out, eventually main Reasons why motorcycle! Are more accessible to test this is indeed the reason your bike again no. Blue/White Color Scheme is set by GDPR cookie consent plugin is at fault truly for... Because of a dead battery, you should charge it is transferring the electricity, but it may not enough! The problem, the solenoid contacts are bad Explained ), theres really not a whole lot can. Switch is easy to bump and not even know it a long head... Your battery, you should be resolved something missing clicks instead of starting: Reasons! Even better, an optimiser like to test it first Explained ) clicks the low current circuit of batterys., though, is because owners dont do proper maintenance and change and add oil when they to. Blue/White Color Scheme you find wrong information or was something missing replaced with a screwdriver or the starter,! Meet-Up spot, i 've jumped my bike using my car and have no! Step 3 and theres no continuity during Step 3 and theres no when. Way without any further issues what to do is make sure battery is dead and turn. Motor clutch on its last legs, confirmed its reading full doesnt click doesnt mean the., deciding what to do can be difficult removed it and worked it. Motor or the like to test than a starter 12.6 voltage even it! Times and get more single clicks it comes to your test light the solenoid is transferring the,. Insufficiently charged, the flywheel is under immense pressure, that rotating is... Start your bike again even if it doesnt have enough current to the point of undetectable in situations.

Amanda Drasdo Butler Car Accident Sanford Florida, Articles M