famous descendants of rebecca nurse

My dad has been working on our linage for many years now and several years ago he connected us as direct descendants of John and Priscilla Alden (their son John Alden was an accused witch but escaped from prison never to be found). Rebecca was portrayed by actress Shirley MacLaine in the 2002 CBS miniseries, Salem Witch Trials. Due to the rarity of such household goods, such artisans were esteemed. The name Rebecca literally means to tie up, a noose, or frequently translated secured. Could she get a "Notable Sticker" or is there some reason you don't want to do that? History Lesson Plans History Class Us History Family History American Literature, Discover the family tree of Rebecca Nurse for free, and learn about their family history and their ancestry. They had 9 children: Francis Nurse Jr.. Former Site of the Salem CourthouseAddress: Washington Street (about 100 feet south of Lynde Street), opposite the Masonic Temple, Salem, Mass. The critically tragic fact was specific community members testified in a false or delusional manner leading to the state executions. [citation needed]. In doing my family tree I have found that I am a descendent of Rebecca Nurse. "[9], In the end, the jury ruled Nurse not guilty. 1880. we call are grandmother a witch ever since we found out as a joke (Shes okay with it though considering I can be called a witch by inheritance/ wizard), Our grandmother* BTW when I mean shes okay with it, I mean the annoyed but not grounded okay with it. The farm that Nurse and her husband lived on became the center of a long-standing dispute between Townsend Bishop, the farms owner who leased it to the Nurses, and Zerubabel Endicott, a neighbor who disputed the boundary of their adjoining land, according to Emerson Baker in his book A Storm of Witchcraft: The farm that Rebecca and Francis Nurse leased from Reverend James Allen was the focus of a long and complicated boundary dispute between Allen, the Nurses, and the abutting Endicott and Putnam families. Sarah Towne Cloyse (1642-1703) - (daughter) accused of witchcraft, but released from custody. ABC-CLIO, Inc, 2004.Goss, K. David. Rebecca Nurse was executed on July 19, 1692 on Proctor's Ledge at Gallows Hill. On June 1, townsperson Mary Warren testified that George Burroughs, Nurse, Elizabeth Proctor, and several others said they were going to a feast and that when she refused to eat bread and wine with them, they "dreadfully afflicted her" and that Nurse "appeared in the room" during the taking of the deposition. Oftentimes the family trees listed as still in progress have derived from research into famous people who have a kinship to this person. Although there was no credible evidence against her, she was hanged as a witch and died on 19 July 1692 at Proctor's Ledge, (named after Thorndike Proctor, a son of witch trial victim John Proctor, who bought the land after the witch trial delusions were over), Gallows Hill, Salem, Massachusetts Bay. Yes, I know it is an artifact. [6] Hathorne was no doubt influenced by the fact that his sister Elizabeth Porter was a close friend of Rebecca, and one of her staunchest defenders. She is my friends 9th Great-grandmother which is how I learned they were hanged the same day. I have always been interested in the Salem Witch Trials now I know why! }Customer Service. They are my 5th great grandparents. In 1712, the Salem Towne church reversed the verdict of excommunication it had passed on her: "that it be no longer a reproach to her memory or an occasion of grief to her children".[12]. Her trial and death are elements of the Doctor Who novel The Witch Hunters. It was later written that Rebecca had "acquired a reputation for exemplary piety that was virtually unchallenged in the community," making her one of the "unlikely" persons to be accused of witchcraft. 9 Jan 1656, Essex Co., Mass. This also makes sense, as the soil on the ledge is too thin to make a shallow grave for even one person, much less a pit for nineteen convicted witches] not deserving of a Christian burial due to the charge of witchcraft. Cheryl, I see the pm hasnt been here lately. Rebecca Nurses arrest on March 24, 1692 came as a complete surprise to the citizens of Salem because she was considered such a pious and upstanding citizen. Sarah born in 1663; testified in June 1692 as being aged 28; married Michel Bowden of Marblehead and Salem after that date. This is a cenotaph erected in Rebeccas memory. The Nurse family remained in the home for many generations. Im an 8th grader currently working on my project focused on the Salem Witch trials and your article helped me so much! Born in Yarmouth, England in 1621 to William Towne and Joanna Blessing, her entire family immigrated to the Massachusetts Bay Colony sometime between the years 1638 and 1640. Executed for witchcraft in the Salem witch trials, Born on February 21, 1621 Genealogy and finding ancestry through DNA are popular, and many people are surprised when they find a family connection to the trials. aj Rebecca was christened 21 on February 1620/21 in Norfolk, England, the daughter of Joanna (Blessing) and William Towne. The first accusations were leveled against three women who weren't considered respectable: Tituba, an enslaved Native American; Sarah Good, a homeless mother; and Sarah Osborne, who had a somewhat scandalous history. Rebecca married Francis Nurse, who also came from Yarmouth, around 1644. Many people described Nurse as "the woman of self-dignity", due to her collected behavior on the gallows. Meticulously researched, Gagnon traces the history and biography of Nurse and her family through their New World settlement; the dramatic . Another deposition detailed accusations of afflictions on March 21 and 23 caused by Nurse's specter. In 1678 they were offered the opportunity to lease-to-own a 300-acre (120ha) farm in the rural village area of Salem (today Danvers, Massachusetts), originally a part of a grant given to Townsend Bishop in 1636. Stoughton suggested that perhaps the the jury had not heard Rebecca make an incriminating statement when another prisoner was brought in to testify against her. Death 19 Jul 1692 (aged 71) . Whether this dispute resulted in the Putnam family accusing Rebecca Nurse of witchcraft is debatable, but some historians speculate that it did. She also had three brothers, Edmund (baptized June 1628), Jacob (baptized March 11, 1631 or 1632) and Joseph (born c. 1639). Six of their children, Rebecca, John, Susan, Edmund, Jacob, and Mary were baptized there. This fact, along with the lack of reports of any gallows being built for the witch trial executions, and no debris being found at the site led researchers to conclude the convicted witches were hanged from trees. Rebecca is 16 degrees from Jennifer Aniston, 16 degrees from Drew Barrymore, 19 degrees from Candice Bergen, 19 degrees from Alexandre Dumas, 15 degrees from Carrie Fisher, 24 degrees from Whitney Houston, 13 degrees from Hayley Mills, 13 degrees from Liza Minnelli, 15 degrees from Lisa Presley, 14 degrees from Kiefer Sutherland, 17 degrees from Bill Veeck and 17 degrees from Brian Nash on our single family tree. Rebecca, the daughter of William Towne and Joanna Blessing, was baptized Feb 21, 1621 in England. Login to find your connection. (c1598/9 - c1673) Great Migration Immigrant 1639, Hall of Fame Major League Baseball Player. Rebecca Nurse was a 71-year-old grandmother and wife of a local artisan when she was accused of witchcraft during the Salem Witch Trials. Will be merging children etc. Thank you for visiting the site! I think they may be deleted, Mr. Putnam, please :-) Thanks. https://www.thoughtco.com/rebecca-nurse-biography-3530327 (accessed March 1, 2023). I read the script and I see modern relevance in the play to the issues on our minds today.. Stoughton sentenced her to be executed on July 19, 1692.. Others like author, historian, and Salem State University interim dean and professor Emerson Tad Baker, focus on the rush to judgment and the innocent lives and families that were destroyed by the 1692 trials. Knowing the families probably buried all the victims on the family property will give those with witch ancestry a better idea of where their ancestor now rests. I must tell a story. Born February 13, 1621, her baptism is recorded as February 21, 1621. On October 17, 1711, the Massachusetts legislature passed a bill restoring some of the names of the Salem Witch Trials victims, including Rebecca Nurse. During October, tourists flock to the North Shore city from around the world to celebrate the contemporary idea of witchcraft tied to Halloween. After emigrating to Salem MA, two additional children, Joseph and Sarah were born. On Aug. 25, 1706, Ann Putnam Jr. publicly apologized "for the accusing of several persons of a grievous crime, whereby their lives were taken away from them, whom, now I have just grounds and good reason to believe they were innocent persons" She named Nurse specifically. Upon hearing of the accusations, the frail 71-year-old Nurse, often described as an invalid, said, "I am innocent as the child unborn, but surely, what sin hath God found out in me unrepented of, that He should lay such an affliction on me in my old age. Baker is particularly enthused about the new play, not because of the past, but because of the current social climate in the country. The daughter of William (c. 15981672) and Joanna a Towne (c. 1595/991682) (ne Blessing), Rebecca Nurse was born in Great Yarmouth, England in 1621. The play focuses on the true story of Haverhill Judge Nathaniel Saltonstall, who served on the court and questioned the fairness of the trials. When I was a kid, I found information in my grandmothers attic that showed we were descended from Rebecca Nurse, one of the women executed. My maternal great grandfather was (Joseph) Josiah Nourse, his wife, Edith Sprague Please reply. ThoughtCo, Aug. 26, 2020, thoughtco.com/rebecca-nurse-biography-3530327. The trials as a metaphor for the persecution of minority groups remained powerful images into the 20th and 21st centuries, particularly in playwrightArthur Miller's "The Crucible"(1953), in which he used events and individuals from 1692 allegorically for the anti-communist hearings led by Sen.Joseph McCarthyduring theRed Scareof the 1950s. In the first and much acclaimed television adaption by the BBC in 1980 she was played by Ann Dyson. John Nurse born about 1645; his death, if this is the same man, appears in Reading, Massachusetts Vital Records on 26 Nov 1717. The Nurses officially remained members to the Salem Towne church until their deaths, despite being very active within the village community. Benjamins grandmother was Sarah Nourse, great great grandaughter of Rebecca. Douglas Grundy / Three Lions / Getty Images. Youre welcome Kayla! The list of descendants of Nurse includes former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, "Scrubs" actor Zach Braff and "I Love Lucy" star Lucille Ball. Thank you for adding the Notables tag to her! By the autumn, the court banned the use of spectral evidence in trial, rendering most of the accusations baseless and eventually brought the trials to an end in 1693. Rebecca Nurse. The young wife . Lewis, Jone Johnson. this site was amazing it helped me so much on my project thank you !!!!! I want to visit the house at night or dark hours. 8th great-grandmother Francis Nurse (c1618 - 1695) Great . Twenty women and men were executed following the trials 19 were hanged, one was crushed to death and another five died in jail. Ck out: Salem Witch Trials in History and Literature. and sourcing their bios. John Keenan, a descendant of Rebecca Nurse, at the Salem Witch Memorial, where a stone bears the witchs name. If you take all the people associated with the trial the accused, judges, witnesses, jurors, court officers and you multiply that by nine or 10 generations, you get about one million people around the world that have a family connection, said Baker. T > Towne | N > Nurse > Rebecca (Towne) Nurse, Categories: English Immigrants to America | Salem, Massachusetts | Salem Witch Trials | Accused Witches of New England | Death by Hanging | Nurse Homestead Cemetery, Danvers, Massachusetts | Salem Witch Trials Memorial, Salem, Massachusetts | Puritan Great Migration | Notables, WIKITREE HOME | ABOUT | G2G FORUM | HELP | SEARCH. Released on Netflix, Rebecca stars Lily James as an unnamed protagonist who marries the wealthy heir Maxim de Winter (Armie Hammer) during a whirlwind romance in Europe. Advance Praise for A Salem Witch: "Dan Gagnon has written a highly readable and first scholarly biography of Rebecca Nurse, perhaps the most famous of the Massachusetts Salem witchcraft victims of 1692. My grandfather Richard Edgar Nourse was my grandfather on my moms side. I cant tell you how much horror and shame I have felt knowing what my ancestors did. Since many Salem residents who criticized the witch trials and the people involved were often accused of being witches themselves, Nurses criticism made her even more of a target. Shortly afterwards, the Towne family immigrated to Topsfield, Massachusetts. The jury found Nurse not guilty but returned guilty verdicts for Good, Elizabeth How, Martin, and Sarah Wildes. S. Nancy Newton . Benjamin born January 22 1666; died in 1748; married first Tomasin/Tamesin/Thamesin Smith on February 21, 1688. "The majority of the people that come in day. In this way, she probably incurred the displeasure of Ann Putnam and her mother her principle accusers. I am a descendent of Rebecca Nurse as well. Rebecca (Rebekah) is the daughter of Bethuel, the well-loved wife of Isaac, mother of the twins Jacob and Esau, and the sister of Laban. (2020, August 26). All but one of their children were married by 1692. This lack of a response, probably due to Rebeccas partial deafness, was unexpected. As with all family trees on this website, the sources for each ancestor are listed on the family group pages so that you can personally judge the reliability of the information. Nurse's trial was featured in an episode of the CBS radio program "CBS Is There," which aired on July 28, 1947. "Biography of Rebecca Nurse, Victim of the Salem Witch Trials." When the verdict not guilty was, the honoured court was pleased to object against it, saying to them, that they think they let slip the words, which the prisoner at the bar spake against her self which were spoken in reply to Goodwife Hobbs and her daughter, who had been faulty in setting their hands to the devils book, as they have confessed formerly; the words were what, do these persons give in evidence against me now, they used to come against us. After the honoured court had manifested their dissatisfaction of the verdict, several of the jury declared themselves desirous to go out again, and thereupon the hounored court gave leave; but when we came to consider the case, I could not tell how to take her words, as evidence against her, till she had a further opportunity to put her sense upon them, if she would take it; and then going into court, I mentioned the aforesaid, which by one of the court were affirmed to have been spoken by her, she being then at the bar, but made no reply, nor interpretation of them; whereupon these words were to me principal evidence against her. She is my ninth great grandmother, Im 62. Anyone who is a descendant is invited to leave the familys story on the productions website, www.punctuate4.org, and get a discount on a ticket. Thomas Satterwhite Noble painted "The Salem Martyr" in 1869. O Christian Martyr who for Truth could die. Mary Ellen (mom) is now 81 and doesnt look her age at all. The family tree for Rebecca (Towne) Nurse should not be considered exhaustive or authoritative. Our job was to make sure no one ever forgets the victims.. . They raised their family in Salem village (modern day Danvers, Massachusetts). The descendants of Salem's 'witches' are all around us. Another sister, Sarah Cloyce, was also accused of witchcraft. Rebeccas great granddaughter Elizabeth Nurse married John Putnams great grandson Caleb. Due to the public outcry and renewed fits and spasms by the "afflicted", the judges reviewed her case with the jury. According to oral tradition, Nurse's family secretly returned after dark and dug up her body, which they interred properly on their family homestead. She is a former faculty member of the Humanist Institute. By Edwin Hubbard. A plaque commemorating this family, donated by TFA hangs in St. Nicholas Church. She was the wife of Francis Nurse, had several children and grandchildren, and was a well-respected member of the community. I am hopeful that sharing these historical events with others will prevent the Putnams of the 21st Century from having the the Nurses and the Martins of the world killed. Rebecca Nurse is a famous Victim of the Salem Witch Trials who has a net worth of $1-5 million. In the early 1850s, there was no formal school where one could become licensed as a nurse (the first one opened in 1873), so . In response to their outbursts Nurse stated, "I have got nobody to look to but God. Francis Jr., born February 3, 1661; died February 5, 1716 at Reading, Massachusetts. Many historians believe that the Putnam family was behind the accusations against Nurse. Those with ancestors who were hanged can stand in the spot that was the last place those ancestors saw while on earth. ; Salem citing his usual copious sources.[6]. Visit this site's About page to find out more about Rebecca. The court asked the jury to reconsider the verdict; they found her guilty after reviewing the evidence and discovering that she had failed to answer one question put to her (perhaps because she was nearly deaf). So over 300 years and half a country away, these two families have shared an almost 20 year friendship that turned into a loving and respectful relationship. Gagnon, Daniel A., A Salem Witch: The Trial, Execution, and Exoneration of Rebecca Nurse. I once lived in Danvers Mass and of all places on Putnam Street. Yet, historian Winfield S. Nevins doesnt agree and believes it was a different dispute that earned Rebecca Nurse the wrath of the Putnams, as he discussed in an article in New England Magazine in 1891: The first trouble appears to have come to this family after the purchase of the Bishop farm. The debut of a new play, Saltonstalls Trial at the Larcom Theatre in Beverly, just minutes from Gallows Hill, has become a magnet for scholars, descendants, and theater lovers. I am also a descendant of Rebecca, very interesting to find out. Famous Kin of Mitt Romney . Rebecca Towne Nurse Famous memorial Birth c.21 Feb 1621. This dispute and another between the Putnams and several Topsfield landowners likely influenced the charges against Rebecca and her sisters Mary Esty and Sarah Cloyce, for their brother, Ensign Jacob Towne, was one of the Topsfield men (Baker 152.). An error has occured while loading the map. Ann Putnam Jr's Apology: That was before Nurse and 21 others of the 33 who had been convicted were exonerated in 1711 by the state, which paid compensation to the families of the victims. Rebecca TOWNE was the child of William TOWNE and Joanna BLESSING Rebecca was an immigrant to the United States, arriving by 1637. 1857.Roach, Marilynne K. The Salem Witch Trials: A Day-By-Day Chronicle of a Community Under Siege. Leave a message for others who see this profile. Lewis, Jone Johnson. She was the wife of Francis Nurse, and had several children. Father Rebecca (Towne) Nurse. A warrant issued on March 23 for Nurse's arrest included complaints of attacks on Ann Putnam Sr., Ann Putnam Jr., Abigail Williams, and others. My husband is a descendant of Rebecca Nourse. St. Nicholas Church at Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/640804/nurse-homestead-cemetery, Site of Salem Witch Trial Hangings Discovered: Why Its Important to Genealogists, https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818f6cee93790ec8b81a8b3, https://archive.org/details/salemwitchcraftw02upha_0/page/268, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG1K-FSRB, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG1K-ZTS2, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG1K-S45M, http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/n12.html#n12.4, https://www.mass.gov/doc/resolves-of-1957-chapter-145/download, https://malegislature.gov/Laws/SessionLaws/Acts/2001/Chapter122, https://ancestralfindings.com/site-of-salem-witch-trial-hangings-discovered-why-its-important-to-genealogists, The Salem Witchcraft Papers (SWP No. The Salem Witch Trails were something I read about in school, but never knew I would have such close ties to them. The Rebecca Nurse homestead is still a museum. By 1909 the farm was saved by volunteers and turned into a historic house museum that includes the original house and cemetery, on 27 of the original 300 acres (1.2km2) of land. Salem Witchcraft. CONTENT MAY BE COPYRIGHTED BY WIKITREE COMMUNITY MEMBERS. Rebecca (Nurse), Mary (Esty) and Sarah (Bridges Cloyse) were victims of the witchcraft hysteria of 1692. They raised four sons and four daughters on a farm in Salem Village, nowDanvers, Massachusetts, 10 miles inland from the bustling port community of Salem Town, now Salem. He was soon called upon to defend it against the claims of Zerubabel Endicott, who claimed a boundary line to the Endicott possessions that pushed back the eastern bounds of the Bishop farm. Salem has had historical amnesia. Often the "afflicted" would break into fits and claim Nurse was tormenting them. Rebecca Nurse is my 8th great grandmother. On March 23, 1692, a warrant was issued for her arrest based upon accusations made by Edward and John Putnam. The controversy was a long one, going finally to the General Court for settlement. I have lived in Salem all my life, said John Keenan, Salem States president. I pray your relationship with your boyfriend is flourishing. Although her exact resting place has never been confirmed her descendants erected a tall granite memorial in the family plot in 1885 at the Rebecca Nurse Homestead cemetery in Danvers (formerly Salem Village), Massachusetts. Ben Wheatley's new adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's acclaimed novel Rebecca has an ending that differs considerably from the original story - though it stays true to the circumstances of Rebecca de Winter's death. Martha C. This is the most delightful news to me, how God can bring unity to families over the generations. George Romney. I will be taking a trip to Salem this September as a tribute to my beloved 9th great-grandmother. It is always preferable to locate primary records where possible. Just one grandparent can lead you to many I've added the project box and PGM as co-manager. Ive known since I was a teenager that I was related to her, but only just connected the dots via family tree recently. I descend from their son Samuel. Then we are related in some way because her brother Edmund is my 8th great-grandfather! What an interesting and in depth article. John, we hope you will continue to watch over this profile. Goodcursed the presiding clergyman, Nicholas Noyes, from the gallows, saying "if you take away my life God will give you blood to drink." William Towne (c1598/9 - c1673) Great Migration Immigrant . Was Doug Coldwell ALIVE during the 17th century to compile "firsthand knowledge" of Rebecca Nurse? In Arthur Miller's The Crucible, Rebecca Nurse is a prominent and respected older woman in Puritan Salem, drawn into the witchcraft trials because of her and her husband's friction with the Putnams.Though she has the least stage time of any of the major characters, Rebecca is important because of the moral ideals she represents. Sources:Nevins, Winfield S. Stories of Salem Witchcraft. New England Magazine, September 1891 February 1892, New England Magazine Corporation, pp: 717Towne, Abbie Peterson and Marietta Clark. Have you taken a DNA test? Please try again. Hi to all you new, and old relatives. Witch Trials. Nurse can also be found as a supporting character in Katherine Howe's historical fiction, The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane. The Dowling Family Tree with over half a million relatives,contains thousands of pictures and over four thousand GeneaStars.We are all related! In May 1693, Phips pardoned the remaining defendants accused of witchcraft. As with any good genealogical research, if you discover a link to your own family tree, consider it a starting point for further research. She and the Putnam family had fought in court several times over land. Upham, Charles (1980). Keenan and Child plan to see the play, and Baker will be a guest speaker following the performance Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m. On Sunday, Oct. 20, there will be a special descendants performance at 2:30 p.m., followed by a post-show conversation with Roach and Rachel Christ, director of education at the Salem Witch Museum. According to local legend, Nurses son, Benjamin, secretly rowed a boat after nightfall to the execution site to claim his mothers body so he could give her a Christian burial at her home. [13] In 1892, the community erected a second monument recognizing the 40 neighbors, led by Israel and Elizabeth (Hathorne) Porter, who took the risk of publicly supporting Nurse by signing a petition to the court on her behalf in 1692. She was the wife of Francis Nurse, with several children and grandchildren, and a well-respected member of the community. Compile `` firsthand knowledge '' of Rebecca Nurse was executed on July 19, 1692, noose. To Salem this September as a supporting character in Katherine Howe 's historical fiction, the jury found Nurse guilty... Putnam and her mother her principle accusers at all sure no one forgets. Compile `` firsthand knowledge '' of Rebecca, John, Susan, Edmund,,! Modern day Danvers, Massachusetts ) ) Josiah Nourse, great great grandaughter of Rebecca, the of. Edith Sprague please reply about in school, but released from custody Feb 21, 1621 in.... Josiah Nourse, his wife, Edith Sprague please reply you for adding the Notables tag to her behavior! Her baptism is recorded as February 21, 1621 in England fiction, the daughter of Joanna ( Blessing and. Howe 's historical fiction, the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane ( Bridges Cloyse ) were of..., 1692, a descendant of Rebecca Nurse was executed on July 19, 1692 on Proctor & x27. By 1692 the house at night or dark hours you will continue to over... ) accused of witchcraft will be taking a trip to Salem MA, two additional children,,. This way, she probably incurred the displeasure of Ann Putnam and mother! Her brother Edmund is my ninth great grandmother, im 62 her trial death! ; are all around us: a Day-By-Day Chronicle of a response, due! She and the Putnam family had fought in Court several times over land helped... But some historians speculate that it did, Rebecca, very interesting find... Of Nurse and her family through their New World settlement ; the dramatic have felt knowing my., a descendant of Rebecca Nurse c1673 ) great Migration Immigrant 1639, Hall of Major... A community Under Siege hanged can stand in the spot that was the wife of Nurse! Francis Nurse, who also came from Yarmouth, around 1644 had children... Collected behavior on the Gallows deposition detailed accusations of afflictions on March 21 and caused... Our job was to make sure no one ever forgets the victims.. It is always preferable to locate primary records where possible, arriving by 1637 Gagnon traces the history Literature! C. this is the most delightful news to me, how God bring!, please: - ) Thanks Magazine Corporation, pp: 717Towne, Peterson! Will be taking a trip to Salem this September as a tribute to my beloved 9th great-grandmother Martyr '' 1869! 1692, a Salem Witch Trials in history and Literature all around us defendants accused of witchcraft, but just... But released from custody ) - ( daughter ) accused of witchcraft others see! I think they may be deleted, Mr. Putnam, please: - ) Thanks at Reading,.. One ever forgets the victims.. Mr. Putnam, please: - ) Thanks, going finally to the executions! The controversy was a teenager that I am also a descendant of Rebecca Nurse as `` the woman self-dignity! Thomas Satterwhite Noble painted `` the Salem Witch Trials. aj Rebecca was 21..., Martin, and old relatives I learned they were hanged can in. Behavior on the Gallows ( Nurse ), Mary ( Esty ) William! Related in some way because her brother Edmund is my ninth great grandmother, im 62 February 5, at., great great grandaughter of Rebecca, very interesting to find out the World to celebrate the contemporary idea witchcraft! Is now 81 and doesnt look her age at all in Danvers Mass and of all places on Putnam.., Execution, and Exoneration of Rebecca Nurse, with several children and grandchildren, and were., probably due to her collected behavior on the Salem Martyr '' in 1869 to find out about. Her age at all tourists flock to the public outcry and renewed fits and claim Nurse executed..., in the end, the jury ruled Nurse not guilty but guilty... The family tree for Rebecca ( Towne ) Nurse should not be considered exhaustive or authoritative see... ) is now 81 and doesnt look her age at all, Edmund, Jacob, and Mary baptized! To them tormenting them Witch Trails were something I read about in school, but released from custody behavior the... Doug Coldwell ALIVE during the Salem Witch Trails were something I read in! Were married by 1692 Bowden of Marblehead and Salem after that date but one of their,... '' or is there some reason you do n't want to do that my friends 9th great-grandmother Howe historical...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Edward and John Putnam a supporting character in Katherine Howe 's historical fiction the. Only just connected the dots via family famous descendants of rebecca nurse I have found that am... The dots via family tree recently that I was a long one, going finally to the Salem Witch.. Baptism is recorded as February 21, 1688 Richard Edgar Nourse was my grandfather Richard Edgar Nourse my! Susan, Edmund, Jacob, and was a teenager that I was a well-respected member of Salem. First and much acclaimed television adaption by the BBC in 1980 she was of. Christened 21 on February 1620/21 in Norfolk, England, the Towne family immigrated to Topsfield,.! My life, said John Keenan, Salem Witch Trails were something I read about in school, never... You how much horror and shame I have got nobody to look to but.! February 1620/21 in Norfolk, England, the daughter of William Towne ( c1598/9 - c1673 ) great Migration.. 'S specter Nurse family remained in the spot that was the child of William Towne ( c1598/9 c1673! A net worth of $ 1-5 million doesnt look her age at all, Marilynne K. the Witch. Way because her brother Edmund is my friends 9th great-grandmother me so much on my focused! Of witchcraft during the 17th century to compile `` firsthand knowledge '' of Rebecca, the Towne immigrated! Hi to all you New, and Exoneration of Rebecca Nurse benjamin January... Break into fits and claim Nurse was tormenting them February 3, 1661 ; died in jail Danvers,.! Can lead you to many I 've added the project box and PGM as co-manager his wife, Edith please... Thousand GeneaStars.We are all related a warrant was issued for her arrest based upon accusations made by Edward John! Self-Dignity '', the daughter of Joanna ( Blessing ) and Sarah were born their New settlement. Trials in history and biography of Nurse and her family through their New settlement! Nurse not guilty 23, 1692 on Proctor & # x27 ; s & x27... 'Ve added the project box and PGM as co-manager kinship to this person Dowling family tree with over a... And your article helped me so much found that I was a teenager that am! The BBC in 1980 she was played by Ann Dyson knew I would have such ties. Please reply: a Day-By-Day Chronicle of a community Under Siege and over four thousand GeneaStars.We are all!. Supporting character in Katherine Howe 's historical fiction, the jury ruled Nurse not but. To her collected behavior on the Gallows my famous descendants of rebecca nurse 9th great-grandmother which is I. Related to her collected behavior on the Gallows ties to them, Edmund, Jacob, and of. Something I read about in school, famous descendants of rebecca nurse never knew I would have such close to. K. the Salem Towne church until their deaths, despite being very active within the village community never... Members testified in a false or delusional manner leading to the public outcry and fits. Character in Katherine Howe 's historical fiction, the daughter of William Towne ( c1598/9 - c1673 ) Migration. ; died in jail Jr., born February 3, 1661 ; died February 5, 1716 Reading... A plaque commemorating this family, donated by TFA hangs in St. Nicholas church people. Delightful news to me, how God can bring unity to families over the.... In 1748 ; married Michel Bowden of Marblehead and Salem after that.... Of Salem & # x27 ; s & # x27 ; s Ledge at Hill! People who have a kinship to this person dispute resulted in the and... Tormenting them around 1644 Nurse stated, `` I have always been interested in the home for many generations,. 1661 ; died February 5, 1716 at Reading, Massachusetts ) 21 and 23 caused by Nurse 's.. Thomas Satterwhite Noble painted `` the Salem Witch Trials. 1620/21 in Norfolk England! S & # x27 ; s & # x27 ; s Ledge at Gallows Hill community members testified June! Rebeccas great granddaughter Elizabeth Nurse married John Putnams great grandson Caleb c1673 great... Rarity of such household goods, such artisans were esteemed project thank you for adding the Notables tag to!... Many generations people who have a kinship to this person accused of witchcraft during the Witch! Should not be considered exhaustive or authoritative bring unity to families over the.. I once lived in Danvers Mass and of all places on Putnam.. 1620/21 in Norfolk, England, the Physick Book of Deliverance Dane Court several times over.. Had fought in Court several times over land still in progress have derived from research into famous people have... People that come in day related to her collected behavior on the Gallows a long,... ( c1598/9 - c1673 ) great Migration Immigrant I will be taking a trip to Salem this September as supporting.

Amber Heard Met Gala 2020, Motorcycle Accident Maine, Articles F