Since joining Dr. Swanson’s research team in 2011, I have participated in a large number of research projects ranging from mathematical model development to implementing numerical algorithms for solving equations to data mining to enable advances in transformational neuro-oncology. My interdisciplinary training in computational sciences with an emphasis in cancer biology has meant that my role in the projects has varied widely, from sole investigator to mentor, from model conceptualization to data wrangler, and from project executer to project coordinator. In my other life, I am a mom of two boys who enjoys running, reading, and creating.
Walla Walla University Mathematics B.Sc. (2005)
The University of Texas at Austin Comput. And Applied Math. M.Sc. (2008)
The University of Texas at Austin Comput. Sci., Engin. and Math. Ph.D. (May 2011)
- Associate Director, Mathematical NeuroOncology Lab, Mayo Clinic at Arizona October 2019 – Present
- Informatics Specialist II, Department of Neurological Surgery, Mayo Clinic at Arizona May 2015 – Present
- Research Associate, Department of Neurological Surgery, Northwestern University Aug.= 2014 – May 2015
- NSF Transformative Computational Science using CyberInfrastructure Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Neurological Surgery, Northwestern University Oct. 2012 – Aug. 2014
- NSF Postdoctoral Fellow in Transformative Computational Science using CyberInfrastructure, Department of Pathology and Applied Mathematics, University of Washington, Seattle, Aug. 2011 – Oct. 2012
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Department of Pathology, University of Washington, Seattle, June 2011 – Aug. 2011
- Graduate Research Assistant, Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences, January 2007-May 2011.
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, UT Austin, Mathematics, August 2005 – January 2006.
- Summer Intern, Los Alamos National Laboratory, T7, June 2004 – September 2004, July 2005 -August 2005.
Peer reviewed publications
- N Gaw, A Hawkins-Daarud, H Yoon, P Jackson, C Rickertson, K Clark-Swanson, K Smith, P Nakaji, LC Baxter, JM Eschbacher, T Wu, LS Hu, KR Swanson*, J Li*. Integration of Machine Learning and Mechanistic Models for Cell Density Mapping of Glioblastoma under Multiparametric MRI. Sci Rep, July 2019. PMID: 31296889 PMCID: PMC6624304 DOI: https:://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-46296-4
- RC Rockne, A Hawkins-Daarud, KR Swanson, JP Sluka, JA Glazier, P Macklin, DA Hormuth, AM Jarrett, EABF Lima, J Tinsley Oden, G Biros, TE Yankeelov, K Curtius, I Al Bakir, D Wodarz, N Komarova, L Aparicio, M Bordyuh, R Rabadan, SD Finley, H Enderling, J Caudell, EG Moros, ARA Anderson, RA Gatenby, A Kaznatcheev, P Jeavons, N Krishnan, J Pelesko, RR Wadhwa, N Yoon, D Nichol, A Marusyk, M Hinczewski, JG Scott. The 2019 Mathematical Oncology Roadmap. Phys Biol, June 2019. PMID: 30991381 PMCID: PMC6655440 DOI: https:://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1478-3975/ab1a09
- A Hawkins-Daarud, SK Johnson, KR Swanson. Quantifying Uncertainty and Robustness in a Biomathematical Model Based Patient-Specific Response Metric for Glioblastoma, Journal Clinical Oncology Clinical Cancer Informatics. Published Online Feb. 2019. https://ascopubs.org/doi/10.1200/CCI.18.00066 PMID: 30758984 PMCID: PMC6633916
- PR Jackson, A Hawkins-Daarud, SC Partridge, PEKinahan, KR Swanson. Simulating magnetic resonance images based on a model of tumor growth incorporating microenvironment. Progress in Biomedical Optics and Imaging – Proceedings in SPIE, 2018, 10577:105771D
- J Juliano, O Gil, A Hawkins-Daarud, S Noticewala, RC Rockne, J Gallaher, SC Massey, PA Sims, ARA Anderson, KR Swanson, P Canoll. Comparative dynamics of microglial and glioma cell motility at the infiltration margin of brain tumours. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 15(139), 2018. PMID: 29445035 PMCID: PMC5832721 DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2017.0582
- JCL Alfonso, K Talkenberger, M Seifert, B Klink, A Hawkins-Daarud, KR Swanson, H Hatzikirou, A Deutsch. The Biology and Mathematical Modelling of Glioma Invasion: A Review. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. 2017 Nov;14(136). PMID: 29118112 PMCID: PMC5721156
- A Hawkins-Daarud, R Rockne, P Kinahan, KR Swanson. Simulating hypoxia in gliomas during anti-angiogenic therapy with mathematical models. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 2015 Aug 6;12(109):20150388. doi: 10.1098/rsif.2015.0388. PMID: 26202682
- A Hawkins-Daarud, R Rockne, A.R.A. Anderson, KR Swanson. Modeling glioma-associated edema during anti-angiogenic therapy. Frontiers in Molecular and Cellular Oncology, 3(66), 2013 doi: 10.3389/fonc.2013.00066 *Most accessed paper of all time in this journal – May 2014 *Ranked as #1 Paper in this journal – May 2013
- A. Hawkins-Daarud, K.G. van der Zee, and J.T. Oden. Numerical Simulation of a Thermodynamically-Consistent Four-Species Tumor Growth Model, Int. J. Num. Meth. Biomed. Eng., vol. 28(1),3-24 (2012).
- A. Hawkins-Daarud, S. Prudhomme, K.G. van der Zee, and J.T. Oden. Bayesian Calibration, Validation, and Uncertainty Quantification of Diffuse Interface Models of Tumor Growth, J. Math. Bio., Published Online, Oct. 2, (2012).
Full list of publications: https:://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=-CoPH3sAAAAJ
- Finalist in 2011 Melosh Student Paper Competition
- Finalist in 3rd Annual BGCE Student Paper Competition
- CAM Fellowship, Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences, UT Austin, January 2006 -December 2009