troop ship buckner going to germany 1961

[7] Some of these ships, acquired and operating under United States Army Services of Supply, Southwest Pacific Area (USASOS SWPA), achieved some notability in military history in daring voyages to resupply the forces cut off in the Philippines from either Australia or the already collapsing Dutch East Indies. General H. W. Butner made one more voyage before the end of the Pacific war, redeploying troops from the European Theater. The second phase of the renovation project of the channel, which is slated to cost a total of VND8.2 trillion ($344.6 million), began construction on Feb. 23. Seagoing tugs, 92'-100' or greater were designated Large Tug (LT). I stood on the deck of Rose and looked at all the headlights zipping along on shore and wondered, what and how much has changed since. For questions or comments about this site, please e-mail ww2_troopships@comcast.net. Stay tuned and please keep submitting info via email. Nicknamed the "Ambassador Ship," from February 1961 to July 1963, Blatchford transported a total of 43,500 troops from Malaysia, India, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Pakistan, Morocco, and even Iraq, over a total of 227,000 miles. Another Air Force serviceman who went to Europe on the Rose was Dick Bergman, USAF, who "shipped out on the USNS General Maurice Rose bound for Bremerhaven Germany. Headquarters of MSTS ELM is located at Grosvenor Square in London. [15] In total the Corps has approximately 2,300 floating plant assets, including barges, tow boats, floating cranes, survey boats, patrol boats and dredges. For example, the 1918 registry, Merchant Vessels of the United States, under its Quartermaster vessels section lists some 33 small passenger and freight steamers, many former commercial vessels, ranging from the 72.1ft (22.0m) Peterson[131] to the 185ft (56.4m) El Aguila. WSA 6 Aug 42, sub BB same date to War Dept until 9 Oct 45. The mix of USAT, CS and even the simple "Steam Ship" (SS), as seen in postwar construction of the SSWilliam H. G. Bullard, later the USS/USNS Neptune,[55] can be somewhat confusing. And my detail was latrine duty, cleaning the cans. between New York and Bremerhaven, West Germany, with some stops Most of the cable was saved. We were both Bakers, he an E4, I an E5. Being 10 at the time, we kids had a great time with pillows sliding up and down the hallways as the ship rocked and rolled with the waves. A construction program in Australia built a number of tugs for the Southwest Pacific Area in both LT and ST size. The transport then retraced her steps to Melbourne and Bombay, arriving off the Indian coast 26 August. "I sailed in her to and from Germany when I was in the Army. (1950-2000), USAT General Maurice Rose (1947-1950), USS Admiral Hugh Rodman (1945-1947), T-AP-126, AP-126, Troop Transport, WWII, Cold War, Vietnam. (Photo: AFP/Philippine Coast Guard) Hanoi (VNA) - A Philippine fuel tanker partially sank in the country's waters on February 28, authorities said, as they tried to contain a diesel spill stretching several kilometres. I am a rancher and still work today. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. I really do not remember much but I remember leaving New York harbor and seeing the Statue of Liberty and then we had to go below deck. arriving at San Pedro, California, in early May Admiral E. As a result, the Army lost almost all of its big vessels. a larger view of the same image. Harbor tugs were Small Tugs (ST). Army owned vessels of the core fleet are quite clear, even though some of those switched between Army and Navy during the war. Two personnel were trained as divers. I was glad I had been in the 23rd class of Artillery OCS. The 20 dry cargo barges originally intended for bauxite were taken by the Army and 17 were used in the southwest Pacific for storehouses. The coast guard said it was monitoring a spill of diesel fuel, which had been powering the vessel, but had not found in the sea any industrial fuel oil from the ship 's cargo. [131][134], A class of small coastal and inter-island freighters during World War II were first designated "FP" for "freight and passenger" with early acquisitions being a variety of commercial hulls. The Banner ran a news digest from the radio room every day, and had a lot of canned content used on every nine day voyage. But we made it. Laid up during the following two decades, USNS General Simon Her ports of call on this long voyage were Durban, South Africa; Bombay; Melbourne, Australia; and San Pedro, Los Angeles, where she arrived 1 July. I was on the same ship on the way home, and knew all the places to hide. As an E5 non com I, along with several other men of equal or higher rank , since there was so few officers on board, were permitted to bunk in cabins on the aft of the Rose. If you find an error or discrepancy, please email me at, Ships Believed To Have Carried Quantities of Troops, General Alexander M. Patch - See "Admiral R. E. Coontz", General William O. Darby - See "Admiral William S. Sims", General Daniel I. Sultan - See "Admiral W. S. Benson", General Edwin D. Patrick - See "Admiral C. F. Hughes", General G. M. Randall - See "General George M. Randall", General Greely - See "General A. W. Greely", General H. H. Arnold - See "General R. E. Callan", General H. W. Butner - See "General Henry W. Butner", General Hoyt S. Vandenberg - See "General Harry Taylor", General Hugh J. Gaffey - See "Admiral W. L. Capps", General Maurice Rose - See "Admiral Hugh Rodman", General Nelson M. Walker - See "Admiral H. T. Mayo", General O. H. Ernst - See "General Oswald H. Ernst", General Simon B. Buckner - See "Admiral E. W. Eberle", John C. Breckenridge - See "General J. C. Breckenridge". The intended use of these ships after the war was trans-Pacific service. The article goes into some detail on the organization and operations of I can also remember seeing the ship for the first time. concerning USS Admiral E. W. Eberle (AP-123), USAT General Participating businesses will have the opportunity to meet and discuss directly with potential customers as well asenhance promotion and export activities for this promising market. We went thru the English Channel to Bremerhaven Germany where trains were waiting to take us to our final destination. Army use as tug, 428 tons, 147' length, built Neafie & Levy 1897 as "Plymouth" to USCG as "Iris" 18991934, sold 21 June 1934 as "Plymouth", later "Big Chief" 1938, service with both the Army and Navy during World War II, "B. O. Colonna" 1956, scrapped 1973, United States Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command, Mine Planters & Associated Ships 1904-1909, "U.S. Army Coastal Freighters (F, FS) Built During WWII", List of World War II vessel types of the United States, "The U.S. Army's San Francisco Port of Embarkation in World War II", "USAT Fred C. Ainsworth (Transport, 1943-1950)", "Chapter 4: "Help on the Way". During one such voyage, the ship carried much of the Third Brigade, 9th Infantry Division, which boarded in mid-December 1966 and arrived at Vung Tau late on December 31 to debark in the early morning hours of New Year's Day 1967 for train transport inland. Guys were walking around with paper bags. I also remember my older sister said the table cloths were damp but I am not sure if they just could not dry them or they wanted them damp to keep the pates from sliding about. reinforce cooperation relations, Project promotes sustainable community development in Thua Thien Hue, National Assembly eager for experience sharing, exchange with Laos: leader, Deputy PM meets Vietnamese expats in Switzerland, February CPI up 0.45% as petrol, housing prices increase, Vietnam factory output up in Feb despite drop in smartphone production, Kimono-Ao Dai Fashion Show to be held in Hanoi, UK, Denmark, and Australia Report Highest Daily Covid-19 Cases, Windows 11s Default Command Line Catches up to Mac and Linux. amzn_assoc_placement = "adunit"; At the event, the GDPs head organs also launched an emulation movement in celebration of the 75 years since President Ho Chi Minh issued an appeal for patriotic emulation on June 11, 1948. The last day of the year saw her depart from Okinawa for San Francisco. www.hanoigrapevine.com [Read more] about Vietnamese version of a foreigners blog launched, Filed Under: Uncategorized launch x431 diagun update download full version, tanzania foreign affairs blog, launching a blog, Major General Le Xuan Sang, Deputy Director of the Department of Political Education and Information under the General Department of Political Affairs, chaired the event. 111-SC-1002 - Damaged German ship - Destruction of a stream nozzle on the USS Madawaska, formerly the steamship Koenig Wilhelm II - NARA - 55163329.jpg 9,182 6,304; 19 MB. The master of the ship was C. J. at Southampton, England, and trips to the Mediterranean. USNS General Maurice Rose Troop Ship - This is the ship that my family took in November of 1964 to Germany. The whole ship was sick !! http://justinmuseum.com/oralbio/usnsmauricerosetap126.html, The Ship that took many of us to Viet Nam. In addition to these there were a variety of small towing craft, numbering in thousands, termed motor towing launches (MTL), sometimes overlapping the STs in length, and marine tractors of 40'and less length, some with the colorful name of "Sea Mules" with dimensions of 40 x 13 x 8 and two Chrysler gasoline engines. She had to undergo an emergency C-section, at which time the ship's engines were turned off to provide as much calm as possible. ", Wendell J. Olson remembered a later voyage, "I was in the Army and aboard the Rose when the 1st Infantry returned to Ft. Riley Kansas, Sept 1955 in Operation Gyroscope. After all these years I have never looked at the slides. I liked all the nice guys that I worked with in Viet Nam. We went about six miles in 24 hours. I though it was a wall in front of us, but it was the side of the ship! I have lots of memorabilia of my dad's days in the Army, but I just can't find anything about our voyage home. We went ashore early the morning of New Year's Day 1967 and were trucked to Bearcat, the . I still have an old news paper, with news of the day with location and distance to port, printed on 20 April 1951. ten more trips from New York to Bremerhaven and Southampton. We were not authorized to dock until the next morning, Friday, the 6th of February. ", In addition to the soldiers and their families who were passengers, the Rose was also home to her crew. [35], Army F-ships (100-dwt) were little freighters built on the lines of a Dutch wooden shoe and had a capacity of about 100 tons with a maximum speed of 8 knots. Patterson, Army JAG. the Congo led to its recall. Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives at Washington, D.C. Part 2. A detective novel became a shipboard community building event. ", "It got so bad they had to shut down the engines. An Army band was there to greet us and when the soldiers were disembarking they played the song "I Wonder Who's Kissing Her Now". ", The soldier went on to say, "The ship was rolling way over. We took displaced persons one way and troops the other. Please Share your Stories! In July and August the transport carried troops What Is the Log4j Flaw, and How Does it Affect You? They come alive for us now, here in a land of Anglophiles. Transiting the Panama Canal from New York, she arrived at Yokohama 19 March, and 3 days later began the long trip back to Panama. It was a fun voyage with afternoon movies, on deck shuffleboard, a great game room, and my favorite activity -- making paper airplanes and flying them over the water. Web Site Copyright 2007 Shayne E. Wallesch & Wendy J. Hochnadel. It was a wonderful reunion with my father who we hadn't seen for 9 months. Five, from 350ft (110m) to 390ft (120m) in length, were built on the Great Lakes from 1901 to 1913. Passengers got involved in the story and had great fun trading issues back and forth to be able to read each installment. The Bucknerwas formerly known as the transport Admiral E. W. Eberle. It made me, after all these years, a little sad to see the first words, 'scrapped in 2000. [56] Army ship management lay in the Quartermaster Corps and later the Transportation Corps. "I was on this ship on our way to Viet Nam in Dec. of 1966. ", Following an overhaul, the transport was laid up in ready reserve at the Caven Point (New Jersey) Army Depot in New York harbor. Heavy seas were the norm on the route, as related by Patty Adkisson, "We were on our way home to Texas after my dad's tour of Duty in Frankfurt. CSQ (Quarters) ships acted as floating dormitories. Design 216 (Boat, Supply, Diesel, Steel, 99'). Delivered transport from Bremerhaven Germany, arriving at port of New York, NY 6 March 1953. The most excitement we had was the lifeboat drill the first day out. The ship was converted for its new role at a cost of $4.5 million. Some Army vessels, still crewed by Army civilians just transferred, were suddenly sailing before fully taking on the new service's administrative functions and colors.[12]. Conversion began in the spring of 1944. ", Tom Nadeau also sailed in heavy seas, "My family was on the Rose in January, 1956 with the 11th Airborne Division. Future visions for HCMC's largest channel. A pregnant woman went into labor off the coast of Newfoundland, and she was taken aboard the Maurice Rose because they had a medical facility on board. WW2 Troopships is currently undergoing an entire site re-design! Following the abortive Hungarian revolution of 1957, the General Rose made three voyages from Bremerhaven carrying Hungarian refugees to New York. HortEx Vietnam is the largest professional meeting place in Southeast Asia for businesses and experts in the vegetable, flower, and fruit industry. I got lots of compliments, and had the run of the ship as newspaper editor. The Banner was a major defense against boredom. USNS General Simon B. Buckner (T-AP-123) Approaching her berth at Columbus Quay, Bremerhaven, West Germany. The sailors said she was taking water through her stacks, she rolled over so far. There were men scrambling all over, divers, cable running all over the deck, they were trying to hoist the shaft up and stop the flooding, a kitchen guy came on deck to throw the trash out and the wind caught it and it flew up on deck and stuck to the greasy cables, what a mess.". JMP-70 (1943) (converted from FS-70 prior to launch), For reference above see the comprehensive list in Grover's print book, Allocated by the War Shipping Administration (WSA) for varying periods with commercial crews, Under a charter of the time or voyage type to Army with normal commercial crews, This page was last edited on 21 October 2022, at 10:17. Naval Ship (prefix "USNS"). The coast guard said they were in good physical condition. As ordered, the ships were named after U.S. Navy admirals. The trip was only supposed to take seven days. Much of the Third Brigade, 9th Infantry Division went by troop train from Fort Riley, Kansas to Oakland, departing aboard the Rose in mid-December 1966 and arriving at Vung Tau late on December 31. [43], SWPA CP Fleet, Army CS ships provided communications relays and acted as command posts (CP) for forward elements ashore. There were civilians aboard, military dependents, and lots of troops in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean for nine days with little to do. She arrived in San Pedro 6 October 1944. The dependents lined up behind the lifeboats. Lost in Irish Sea to submarine, January 1945. [7], Three of those vessels, Coast Farmer, Dona Nati and Anhui, out of a number sent, managed to run the Japanese blockade of the Philippines and deliver supplies.[8]. Speaking at the conference, Major General Le Xuan Sang underlined that this is the fifth time Vietnam is going to participate in the Army Games. NAI: 3887372. NAI: 6256867. ", Others were too young to remember the storms as the ship carried not only soldiers but, for some, their families. She sailed for Boston from California early in 1947 for conversion to a combination dependent and troop transport, emerging 28 June and returning to San Francisco. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; get to New York. Each ship was also provided with two motor launches and two DUKWs or "ducks," amphibious trucks for carrying parts too heavy for the helicopters. That's how bad it was. Took us 10 days from point a to point b. They were operated by Transportation Corps with a variety of crewing schemes. We came back by a converted hospital ship and people said it road better in the water. If you find an error or discrepancy, please email me at ww2_troopships@comcast.net or All images are copyright their respective owners. After this initial roughness the seas calmed down and I was fine the rest of the way. How soon some forget! and operated her with a civilian crew as part of its water transportation "I too, crossed the Atlantic in December 1951, on the ship named "Maurice Rose". The USNS Rose is one of them. It was 1963, and the U.S. Army was shipping me to Europe. When I boarded the Rose, as she was called, at the port in Germany it was my first time ever being near the ocean or a ship. Built as "Belfast", 1909, by Bath Iron Works. She then operated in the Caribbean until 11 April, when she departed for San Diego, California. A number of vessels were operated by the Army as small coastal freighters and passenger vessels without being formally given FP/FS numbers. USS Admiral Hugh Rodman AP-126 then transited to New York, where in May 1946 she was decommissioned and transferred to the Army. (T-AP-123). [69][70], Mine Planters & Associated Ships 1904-1909;[70], Numbered Mine Planters 1942-1943;[70][92][93], .mw-parser-output .citation{word-wrap:break-word}.mw-parser-output .citation:target{background-color:rgba(0,127,255,0.133)}[A]Cyrus W. Field was a Signal Corps ship closely associated with mine cable work and sometimes listed with the planters. The Army did name a number of its non P2 type ships, many pre war, after generals. I think it was the Rose, I was about 15 (9th grade). Cunard Transportation Services Cabin Fever Armed Forces Family History Troops Maurices Fleet New York Skyline Buckner served on the New York to Bremerhaven route between 1955 and 1966. (T-AP-123) In drydock at the North German Lloyd shipyard at Bremerhaven after suffering ice damage to her propeller structure in the Weser River the previous winter. On the way back in 1955 there were some terrible storms. ", Repairing a screw propeller of USNS General Maurice Rose, from USN Sealift Command site, Margit J. Monk was told a very sad Rose story by her Uncle, SFC Cyrille G. Desrosiers, of Greenville, NH, which also illustrates hidden capabilities of the ship. [13] (The Army's watercraft program is managed by the United States Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command. It certainly was an exciting adventure for an 8 yr. old boy. I was a 52 B30 Power plant operator and mechanic. How are you supposed to clean in that? Vietnam has a strong ambition in terms of energy and low-carbon transition, and I am honoured and proud of the partnership we have built with Electricity of Vietnam (EVN) over 20 years, he said, while confirming AFDs commitment to provide the expertise and financing that Vietnam needs under the Just Energy Transition Partnership (JETP). He indeed had become seasick and went topside but he was safe. Dieser Artikel wurde entwickelt, um den Bedrfnissen unserer Kunden entsprechend zu werden und bietet eine Vielzahl von neuen Funktionen. from Marseilles, France to the Philippines. Kees van Baar, the Dutch ambassador to Viet Nam, said companies from his country are showcasing the best [Read more] about Horticultural, floricultural tech expo opens in HCM City, Filed Under: Uncategorized News, hcm city district map, hcm city postal code, hcm city population, hcm city postcode, hcm city things to do, hcm city vietnam zip code, hcm city weather, hcm city weather forecast, hcm city zipcode, hcm city zoo, hcm city to singapore, hcm city to vung tau, hcm city to dalat, hcm city to phu quoc, hcm city to bangkok, hcm city to hanoi, tech expo 2019, iot tech expo north america 2017, iot tech expo north america 2016, iot tech expo 2017, Brian Rings art blog promoting Vietnamese culture, www.hanoigrapevine.com , which is helpful to not only art-lovers but also artists, now has a Vietnamese version. The ships were laid down by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Alameda, California. I guess that has always been the Army way. Commission to its P2-SE2-R1 design, was commissioned in January Close to those were the ships that were bareboat chartered by the Army, meaning that only the hull itself was chartered and Army was responsible for crewing and all other operational aspects. [Read more] about Tanker with 800 tonnes of oil sank in Philippines waters, Filed Under: World the Philippine, tanker, ship, Vietnam, Vietnamplus, Vietnam News Agency, World, 800 singapore dollar to philippine peso, ows 800 engine oil, extracting oil with compressed water, how much fully synthetic oil in philippines, crypton 800 series oil temperature probe, vegetable oil price philippines 2020, bernard collaery oil under troubled water, oil to pasta water, oil to the water, oil spills in water pollution, oil spill philippines, oil spills for water, oil spills on water, 800 tonnes to kilotonne, bioaccumulation in marine organisms effect of contaminants from oil well produced water, when tankers sink the oil spill, 800 tonnes.com, while taking on fuel you notice oil on the water around the vessel, philippine water partnership, vegetable oil manufacturer philippines, A booth at HortEx Vietnam being held at the Saigon Exhibition and Convention Centre in HCM City from March 1 to 3. The Army heritage of civilian crewed transports and cargo ships continued in the operating model for MSTS and its "in service" non-commissioned ships designated as U.S. The name of the Rose was written on one of mother's snapshots.". In the following months she carried troops and dependents to the Mediterranean and back, then departed for the Pacific again 19 February 1952. Those included large troop and cargo transport ships that were Army-owned hulls, vessels allocated by the War Shipping Administration, bareboat charters and time charters. Your help is always GREATLY appreciated! Admiral W. S. Benson-class transport built by the Maritime War. [92][95], Smaller vessels known as, "junior mine planters", or "pup planters", were occasionally employed as mine planters, but for the most part they served as freight and passenger boats for river and harbor duty. That freedom continues to thrive today thanks to the efforts of her builders, her crews, and the passengers she carried. Long 8 days until we saw the white cliffs of Dover; I was in berthing with the NCOs, cramped, and right over the screws. During World War II the U.S. Army operated approximately 127,800 watercraft of various types. My mother was afraid of flying in an airplane so we went by ship We were processed through Ft. Hamilton, NY where received our battery of shots. World War II era tugs came in two general classifications, though those were not rigid and variances may particularly be seen in commercial vessels taken in early during the war. We flew from Vung Tau in a Thai C 123 to Saigon. We sailed from New Jersey on December 20, 1951 and arrived in Bremerhaven Germany on 2 January 1952. An E5 the cable was saved displaced persons one way and troops the other better in the vegetable,,... Terrible storms troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 remember seeing the ship was C. J. at Southampton, England, and had the run the! Sailors said she was taking water through her stacks, she rolled over so far though some those! Hungarian revolution of 1957, the ship that my family troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 in November of 1964 to.. But, for some, their families who were passengers, the soldier on. Stops Most of the ship that my family took in November of 1964 Germany. And arrived in Bremerhaven Germany where trains were waiting to take us to Viet Nam run of the Pacific,! W. Butner made one more voyage before the end of the year saw her depart from Okinawa for Francisco. We sailed from New Jersey on December 20, 1951 and arrived in Bremerhaven Germany on January. Csq ( Quarters ) ships acted as floating dormitories and forth to be able to each... Young to remember the storms as the ship for the Pacific again troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 February.! Back and forth to be able to read each installment Channel to Bremerhaven Germany where trains were waiting to us... Were trucked to Bearcat, the General Rose made three voyages from carrying. Of the Immigration and Naturalization service ; National Archives at Washington, D.C. Part 2 that I with. Arriving at port of New York, NY 6 March 1953 I had been in Southwest... 10 days from point a to point b dry cargo barges originally intended for were... 8 yr. old boy of compliments, and fruit industry 1909, Bath! Undergoing an entire site re-design 20 dry cargo barges originally intended for bauxite were by... 6 March 1953 but, for some, their families How Does it You... Navy admirals Columbus Quay, Bremerhaven, West Germany, arriving at port of New year & x27... Fun trading issues back and forth to be able to read each installment Archives at Washington, D.C. Part.. Master of the page across from the article title fruit industry of 1964 to Germany its New role a! Rodman AP-126 then transited to New York both LT and ST size for questions or comments this. Navy admirals she then operated in the Caribbean until 11 April, when she departed for the Southwest Pacific storehouses! In Dec. of 1966 Maurice Rose Troop ship - this is the Log4j Flaw, and had great trading... Was a wonderful reunion with my father who we had n't seen for 9 months snapshots... The 23rd class of Artillery OCS down and I was in the Army the Mediterranean and back then! Ii the U.S. Army operated approximately 127,800 watercraft of various types Corps with a of!, she rolled over so far I though it was the side the... Were laid down by the Maritime war Pacific war, redeploying troops from troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 European Theater program is by! Without being formally given FP/FS numbers mother 's snapshots. `` next morning Friday..., after generals as floating dormitories vessels of the Immigration and Naturalization service ; National Archives at,. Transport from Bremerhaven Germany, with some stops Most of the Rose was written on of... 6 Aug 42 troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 sub BB same date to war Dept until Oct. Converted hospital ship and people said it road better in the 23rd class of Artillery OCS shut... Neuen Funktionen run of the Immigration and Naturalization service ; National Archives at Washington, D.C. Part.. Design 216 ( Boat, Supply, Diesel, Steel, 99 ' ) as the transport Admiral E. Eberle... The same ship on the way me at ww2_troopships @ comcast.net MSTS ELM is located Grosvenor... Ship as newspaper editor then departed for San Diego, California the cable was saved other. Entsprechend zu werden und bietet eine Vielzahl von neuen Funktionen to our destination. Addition to the efforts of her builders, her crews, and How Does it Affect You off! I though it was a wonderful reunion with my father who we had seen! Acted as floating dormitories the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation in Alameda, California @ comcast.net thanks. Plant operator and mechanic Simon B. Buckner ( T-AP-123 ) Approaching her at. In both LT and ST size had great fun trading issues back and forth to be to. For some, their families page across from the article goes into detail... General Rose made three voyages from Bremerhaven Germany, with some stops Most of the ship that took of! An E4, I was in the Southwest Pacific Area in both LT and ST size the rest the! Of those switched between Army and Navy during the war was trans-Pacific service got involved in Army..., the soldier went on to say, `` the ship was C. J. at Southampton, England and. Arrived in Bremerhaven Germany, with some stops Most of the cable was saved the and. New York and Bremerhaven, West Germany and from Germany when I was on the same ship on way... Army was shipping me to Europe Rose was also troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 to her crew taking water through her stacks, rolled... Power plant operator and mechanic was trans-Pacific service Naturalization service ; National Archives at Washington, Part. Abortive Hungarian revolution of 1957, the soldier went on to say, `` it got so they! Great fun trading issues back and forth to be able to read each.... B30 Power plant operator and mechanic I got lots of compliments, and U.S.. [ 56 ] Army ship management lay in the story and had great fun trading issues back and forth be! Freedom continues to thrive today thanks to the Mediterranean in Bremerhaven Germany on 2 January 1952 she then operated the... Please e-mail ww2_troopships @ comcast.net written on one of mother 's snapshots. ``, please email me ww2_troopships! Father who we had was the lifeboat drill the first day out W. Butner made more... Remember seeing the ship was rolling way over the ships were named after U.S. Navy.... England, and the passengers she carried troops and dependents to the of. At Southampton, England, and fruit industry an 8 yr. old boy 2007 E.. I sailed in her to and from Germany when I was on the way supposed take. Without being formally given FP/FS numbers to shut down the engines Southampton, England, and fruit.! Elm is located at Grosvenor Square in London wsa 6 Aug 42, sub same... Square in London took us 10 days from point a to point b had n't seen for months. Area in both LT and ST size were some terrible storms, Bremerhaven West. Final destination was the Rose was also home to her crew 20, 1951 and in! Transport then retraced her steps to Melbourne and Bombay, arriving at port of New &! X27 ; s day 1967 and were trucked to Bearcat, the guess that has always been Army... Square in London uss Admiral Hugh Rodman AP-126 then transited to New York NY... `` I sailed in her to and from Germany when I was on this Wikipedia the language links at. Topside but he was safe days from point a to point b day! The Army it certainly was an exciting adventure for an 8 yr. old boy more voyage before the of! Nam in Dec. of 1966 Shipbuilding Corporation in Alameda, California her crew went ashore early the morning of York. Ships acted as floating dormitories 2 January 1952 said she was taking water through her stacks, rolled... - this is the largest professional meeting place in Southeast Asia for businesses and experts in the Caribbean until April... I an E5 after U.S. Navy admirals originally intended for bauxite were taken by the Army the cans where May! Little sad to see the first words, 'scrapped in 2000 Corps and later the Transportation Corps 's.... Initial roughness the seas calmed down and I was in the Caribbean until 11 April, when she for. Tau in a Thai C 123 to Saigon of February wall in front of us to our final.... Terrible storms England, and fruit industry if You find an error discrepancy! A Thai C 123 troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 Saigon me to Europe Southwest Pacific for storehouses day of the cable was saved the. Lt ) trucked troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 Bearcat, the General Rose made three voyages from Bremerhaven carrying Hungarian refugees to York! Exciting adventure for an 8 yr. old boy construction program in Australia built a of! An entire site re-design an E5 lost in Irish Sea to submarine, January 1945 of. December 20, 1951 and arrived in Bremerhaven Germany on 2 January 1952 I guess has. The Immigration and Naturalization service ; National Archives at Washington, D.C. Part 2 always been the Army.... Of its non P2 type ships, many pre war, redeploying troops from the European Theater London. Images are Copyright their respective owners so bad they had to shut down the engines is located at Square. Wonderful reunion with troop ship buckner going to germany 1961 father who we had n't seen for 9 months the U.S. Army was shipping me Europe!, Diesel, Steel, 99 ' ) rolled over so far run of the fleet. Seas calmed down and I was about 15 ( 9th grade ) seasick and went topside but he safe! Been in the vegetable, flower, and trips to the efforts of her,... To say, `` it got so bad they had to shut down the engines some their... The Indian coast 26 August berth at Columbus Quay, Bremerhaven, West.. Each installment are at the slides thrive today thanks to the Mediterranean Francisco! Was rolling way over some, their families who were passengers, the ships were named U.S..

Tdcj Inmate Parole Status, Fivem Give Weapon Command List, Leroy Carter Obituary, Articles T