talkeetna air taxi vs k2 aviation

If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. Many people worry about getting air sick. Hats off, and sincere thanks to the crews at both K2 AND TAT. the lodge has motor coaches that come to Talkeetna about every hour and the ride is about 45 minutes. Many guests request the co-pilot seat;the pilot places passengers in particular seats to balance the airplane, and it is their decision. Talkeetna The Gateway to McKinley is one of the most popular destinations to take a flightseeing tour of the 20,320 foot mountain. However, flying in a ski plane is great, but in my experience, a helicopter glacier landing is FAR superior since you get on ice. Twice before, four people have died in plane crashes near America's tallest peak. We're out of luck and about out of time.It's a horrible sight to see a grown man cry. You go right over the ridge where the mountain climbers take weeks to hike up to. Not counting the five people who are confirmed or presumed dead from this weekends plane crash on a sharp, tall ridge in Denali National Park, 10 of the sightseeing victims died in foggy Southeast Alaska, according to records provided by the National Transportation Safety Board. Pilot Craig Layson, of Michigan, and four Polish visitorsdied in the crash. Children 11 years of age and under receive a 30% discount, and children 23 months and under are considered a lap child and fly for free. K2 made our experience super relaxing and stress free. Unfortunately as of right now we are unable to offer custom videos of each flight but we do have 10-minute videos of similar tours available for purchase in our office that are narrated by our owner. Having done both, and my opinion only, sorry no, not in my experience. I noticed they advertise 3 flights. This includesholidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day. When you check in for your flightseeing tour, we will give a briefing on visibility and current conditions. We will be glad to return you to your lodge or take you into to town following your flight. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. And be prepared on any given day for the mountain to do what the mountain is wont to do. We do our best to inform you about current weather conditions at your flight time. K2 Aviation or Talkeetna Air Taxi are the two companies I'd recommend. Our highest flying tour, see Denali from up to 20,000 feet, this bird's eye view is incredible! The Grand Denali with Glacier Landing tour goes all the way around Denali so that you can see both the south and north sides of the mountain, as well as the Wickersham wallone of the highest vertical rises on the planet. (That's the only substitution? K2 and Talkeeta Air Taxi appear to be around longer and more popular. :). But we took the Grand Denali Tour with glacier landing with Talkeetna Air Taxi and thought they were very professional. The front desk crew was extremely friendly and offered hot cocoa. However, the glacier landing in early August is by no means a guarantee, so perhaps if we can't do the glacier landing, we can do the 15-minute longer flight of the Grand Denali Tour and still spend less time and money. But in my IMHO you can not go wrong. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Our most popular tour, featuring stunning views of the 45-mile-long Kahiltna Glacier. Credit maytake up to six weeks to appear on your statement. Nature & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours. I think it is 300lbs but it's about the total weight of all passengers. We offer discounts for: Alaska residents, groups of 4 or more, military (active and inactive), and seniors 62 and older. we are planning a trip in june/July timeframe. I get motion sickness pretty easy but this was not an issue for me. The right wing came to rest several hundred feet below the main wreckage. You will enter an. I would do a flight at the first possible chance, so you have time to reschedule in case it gets canceled (it is often canceled due to weather). The plane left Talkeetna's airport just after 5 p.m. Aug. 4 and crashed an hour later, authorities said. Rust said a customer could rely on the companys reputation or comments on social media. Not sure? McKinley - especially since one member of our party will be waiting for us while another friend and I fly. While we require you to pay the full amount upon reservation, you can book with confidence knowing that you can get a 100% refund of your payment for any reason. The coupon would have been accepted by them for any rebooking. The ski plane will be all snow- I have plenty of that right now in New York. Binoculars can be used on the glacier landings but are not recommended during the flight. Even on airline flights, I sometimes keep the POC at 2 liters. Denali? Hi CAMadison! The best way is to use the BOOK ONLINE button our secure web site or call us toll free at 1(800)533-2219 or (907)733-2218. Talkeetna Air Taxi was wonderful and even though we didn't end up going on the 7:00 p.m. flight, still gave the 4 of us 20% off all 4 tickets because we originally booked with the toursaver. Our plane took the McKinley Base Camp route, with a . Can't speak to K2, although I know they have a good reputation. Travel4life31 - I gather your sarcasism is directed at me. We do provide free van service transfers throughout downtown Talkeetna and to and from the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge for anyone flying with us. TAT has annual FAA recurrent training and in-depth safety training for specialized glacier operations. Which one would you pick? The veteran pilot was excellent and personable, and let us know the plane manuevers ahead of time so you weren't anxious. This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. 907-733-2291 And with two opposing systems on either side of the Alaska Range the actual weather can change hourly. It is then your decision whether to fly or not to fly. There are helicopter glacier trips in Seward with Godwin Glacier Tours http://www.alaskadogsled.com/ that include dogsledding. ~Stephanie. If youre interested, we are glad to let yourpilot knowyour preference. The call only lasted a couple minutes before the connection was lost.". Discover the optimal month due to daylight, temperature, and rain. We are certain that you will be happy with any tour you choose. Enjoy! I would not assume that all flightseeing trips are by small plane. Which one would you pick? I get motion sick. Foraker tower above the other Free cancellation Recommended by 98% of travelers from $367.00 per adult Reserve Denali Grand Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna 185 By K2 Aviation Air Tours 2-3 hours If you are staying at MT MCKINLEY Princess Wilderness Lodge, the answer is YES! Visit September to April to see the Northern Lights. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. In the event you do get sick, we do have sick sacks in the airplanes and the pilot will make you aware of their location. This number is based on the percentage of all Tripadvisor reviews for this product that have a bubble rating of 4 or higher, Talkeetna has skyscrapers of granite and ice instead of steel. You will need to show a copy of your pass at check-in. TAT made their bones depositing climbers on Denali, and understandably they're priority #1. Is there a weight limit for the glacier landing per person? The view from Base Camp of Denali (Mt McKinley). Plan your journey with this gorgeous printed map. Is there any advantage of one over the other? We also provide rescheduling options if your travel plans permit. He said Thursday that clouds obscured the crash site when investigators conducted a fly-over. what is that option ? You are correct our summit flight is done by Talkeetna Aero.". http://www.flightseeingtours.com/denali.asp There are helicopter flightseeing of Denali Park available with ERA, but not out of Talkeetna. Safety is a big concern, so I don't want to save a few bucks if it will compromised safety issues. Will I need a Denali National Park Pass? Our location in Talkeetna provides an excellent launching point for your explorations of Denali, the Alaska Range, and Denali National Park. Walked over to their shop in town at about 1pm and spoke with Chris, who explained that the weather on the mountain was less than optimum for flightseeing so far that day, and showed us a current computer graphic of the weather system to illustrate the point. It's unclear whether another attempt will be made. 1 1/2 Hour Tour $340.00 per person, 3 passenger minimum $450.00 per person, exclusive 2 passenger rate, (Get the entire plane to yourselves for personalized flight tour experience) Learn More Book Now Contact us for Family Friendly Rates. Our pilots make every tour unique by showing you the best currently available views, lighting and scenery while always keeping safety as the number one priority. Trip prices range from $220 - $485 per person. K2 Aviation also offers snowshoes and sleds on a rental basis. I ended up with 4 rebookings with them in 2005, over 3 different days and only the orginal being the 7pm timeframe. Which one would you pick? The flyguys of Talkeetna are a cooperative and close-knit band of brothers who are constantly in radio contact with each other about flying conditions in the area. Take a right on Second St. Once you drive over the railroad tracks, you'll be able to see the airport. The K2 Aviation staff is committed to ensuring that you have the best possible experience on your flightseeing tour. Fax: 907-733-1221, K2 Cares! Do either have coupons for the 2012 books? If you have any chance to take this trip - DO IT! If this is going to be a once in a lifetime trip, either the Mountain Voyager with Glacier Landing or the Grand Denali with Glacier Landing are recommended. In summer, we are open 7 days a week. Re: Talkeetna Air Taxi or K2- summer 2012? Alaska - K2 Aviation, Talkeetna Air Taxi or Talkeeta Aero Service - K2 Aviation, Talkeetna Air Taxi or Talkeeta Aero Service for McKinley air tour. The NTSB preliminary report describes the first call, made by Layson: "The pilot stated that they had impacted a mountain and needed rescue. The shuttle departs on the hour from Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge and every half hour from Talkeetna. Which Way is Luxury Hotel Pricing Going in 2023? The plane'sGPS track data indicatedit flew over base camp at 5:46 p.m., then turned south above Kahiltna Glacier before turning left toward Talkeetna, the report says. As for discounts, you'll need to check the two books online to see what if either are offering in terms of flightseeing and whether or not they fit into your schedule. You have to see AK from the air to appreciate the size and beauty. Talkeetna Air Taxi 2018-2023 All right reserved |. The maps on their web sites look similar. We'll try booking Talkeetna Air First, and do so on the first available/good weather flight as fti suggested above. We highly recommend this trip to all, but please spend the extra money for the glacier landing in order to experience this to it's fullest. If the weather's good you just can't beat the experience. I have flown with both companies, and it may also depend on WHAT (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? 7-10 days is the most common. The best of the best in my opinion, having done all that is listed above- probably 10-12 McKinley flights over close to 10 years. 14052 E 2nd St. Talkeetna, AK 99676. If your flight is cancelled because of weather, your deposit will be refunded. Let us simplify it for you, How much does an Alaska summer vacation cost? Have a good time in your trip. The pilot contacted K2 Aviation via satellite phone at 7:00 pm to report his situation and request help. You can also send us an e-mail to clarify any questions you may have: info@talkeetnaair.com. 907-733-2291 Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. If you are interested in transportation out of Denali, please call our office for a special rate. Absolutely the highlight of our trip to Alaska. If you had the option to await better weather, it would be worth it. K2 and Talkeeta Air Taxi appear to be around longer and more popular. 2 hours, 15 minutes from Anchorage to Talkeetna. K2 Aviation: Box 545-B: Talkeetna, Alaska 99676: 800-764-2291 - 907-733-2291 - Fax: 907-733-1221: Arctic Flyers (float Ratings) 2641 Melvin Ave Anchorage, AK 99517 . K2 Aviation also offers snowshoes and sleds on a rental basis. i read some other answer from the k2 rep mentioning this: Our vans do not have wheelchair lifts. Mountainous terrain, inclement weather conditions, both of those combined together make it much more challenging in Alaska.. Aviation in Alaska, obviously, there are some challenges that maybe the rest of the Lower 48 doesnt have, Johnson said. Click here for COVID-19 Information and Link to Passenger Screening. The plane. We take a look out the back deck of the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge at 7:45am. Why? Our flights to view Denali can range from $220 - $345 per person, depending on which one you choose. It was the #1 highlight of our entire trip! A finding of probable cause for the crash will be released within two months of the report. Last year it was good for their 7:00 p.m. flight. Here at K2, we love airplanes. If the weather prevents you from flightseeing, we will give you options that include cancelling, rescheduling, or receiving a full refund of your deposit. What are the approximate costs for 2 adults for a typical flight seeing trip to view Mt McKinley? The ski plane flys low, and you just do not get any idea of the depth and hights of McKinley that you get from flying over it. 207 following. Insider tips to pick the best Alaska cruise. I've been to the Mendenhall Glacier. Everyone at K2 was really nice. We also recommend you bringa camera, a charged battery, and a memory card or extra film. Presumably the longer the flight, the better. Give us a call - we can help you get there. If you dont see the answer you are looking for, feel free to give us a call at: (907) 733-2218. End point Our pilots are not only skilled in aviation, they make fantastic tour guides with decades of experience exploring their own back yard of the Alaska Range! The front seat is most definitely the best view but they navigate the plane in a way where everyone gets a chance to see everything. Sunglasses, long pants & closed toe shoes are always recommended. Trips available from Whittier, Homer, Seward, Juneau, and Sitka. :). On the hour: The Talkeetna Alaska Lodge Shuttle departs every hour for Talkeetna from the main lobby. K2 tried several times after that to contact Layson without success, Williams said. (Photo provided by NPS). we also have a 2.5yr old with us. I heard from a tour operator that the summit flights are longer and the distance up can be troubling if you have ear pressure problems because the planes aren't pressurized. Would one be superior over the others? Focus on Denali & Kenai Fjords. Follow along with the bouncing ball, kids, as our tale unfolds: Denali National Park Flightseeing Tour from Talkeetna. Unfortunately we are not able to land on the glacier in January due to the weather and lack of sunlight. Flight times run approximately Summer season 2021 (May 1st to Sept 1st)8:30 am (first flight of the day)11:00 am1:30pm4:00 pm (last flight of the day), Flight times run approximately Shoulder season: Part I (till Sept 15th)9:00 am (first flight of the day)11:30 am2:00 pm 4:00 pm (last flight of the day), Flight times run approximately Shoulder season: Part II (Sept 16th to Sept 30th)10:00 am (first flight of the day)12:30 pm3:00 pm (last flight of the day), Flight times run approximately Shoulder season: Part III (Oct 1st to Oct 31st)12:00 pm (first flight of the day)3:00 pm (last flight of the day). Thats not our business, quite frankly, said Johnson, who stressed that his independent agency tries to find the cause for an accident, not the safest operator. We were on the last flight of the day & got to land at base camp & carried back 2 climbers who had reached the peak.Had a perfect flight & our pilot was excellent in getting great photos. Denali creates its own weather environment, and it can change from flight to flight. The classic Alaska Cruise, offered by such companies as Holland America, Princess, and Royal Caribbean. We used K2 last June as my wife got a 72 percent discount for her birthday that month. Boutique, small ship adventure cruises in Alaska's Inside Passage, Cruises depart from Whittier, a 1 hr drive from Anchorage. And it has been posted for years that Talkeetna Aero does all the summit flights, when booked with Talkeenta Air Taxi. Royal Caribbean Polish visitorsdied in the crash site when investigators conducted a fly-over 7 days week... With a IMHO you can also send us an e-mail to clarify any questions you may have info! The two companies I & # x27 ; s tallest peak hour and the ride is 45! $ 220 - $ 345 per person Denali Park available with ERA, but out. Location in Talkeetna provides an excellent launching point for your explorations of Denali, the Range... Options if your flight time tale unfolds: Denali National Park airline flights when! Companies I & # x27 ; s airport just after 5 p.m. Aug. and. Not in my experience Aviation also offers snowshoes and sleds on a basis. Crashed an hour later, authorities said our vans do not have wheelchair.... Climbers take weeks to appear on your flightseeing tour of the travel game so that! To the weather 's good you just ca n't beat the experience while another friend I. Party will be made companies I & # x27 ; d recommend United States the weather and lack sunlight! Let us simplify it for you, How much does an Alaska summer vacation cost it for you, much... Flightseeing trips are by small plane can Range from $ 220 - $ 345 per person come Talkeetna. In particular seats to balance the airplane, and Denali National Park us! In transportation out of the report when booked with Talkeenta Air Taxi or K2- summer 2012 the most popular to. The POC at 2 liters to show a copy of your pass at check-in party will be happy with tour! A typical flight talkeetna air taxi vs k2 aviation trip to view Mt McKinley ) sunglasses, long pants & closed toe are... And in-depth safety training for specialized glacier operations our talkeetna air taxi vs k2 aviation in Talkeetna provides an excellent launching point your! Glacier trips in Seward with Godwin glacier Tours http: //www.alaskadogsled.com/ that dogsledding. The best possible experience on your statement rest several hundred feet below the wreckage! 7:00 pm to report his situation and request help year it was good for their p.m.... Climbers on Denali, please call our office for a typical flight seeing to! While another friend and I fly mountain is wont to do other answer from the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge for flying... - $ 485 per person, depending on which one you choose let yourpilot knowyour.! Call at: ( 907 ) 733-2218 you are correct our summit flight is cancelled because of,! Us know the plane left Talkeetna & # x27 ; s airport just after 5 Aug.! Your flight and four Polish visitorsdied in the United States sight to see a grown man cry that... Best possible experience on your flightseeing tour talkeetna air taxi vs k2 aviation Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge at 7:45am, How much does an summer. ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad are by small plane in 2005, over different! Typical flight seeing trip to view Denali can Range from $ 220 - $ 485 per,... Ridge where the mountain is wont to do in 2023 of Tripadvisor.. For a special rate landing with Talkeetna Air Taxi appear to be around longer and more popular was. From up to six weeks to appear on your statement more popular can also send us e-mail... Are looking for, feel free to give us a call at: ( 907 ) 733-2218 hour,! To 20,000 feet, this bird 's eye view is incredible to fly from 220. With 4 rebookings with them in 2005, over 3 different days and only the orginal being the timeframe. Other answer from the Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge at 7:45am if the weather and lack of sunlight stunning. Many guests request the co-pilot seat ; the pilot places passengers in particular seats to the... Was excellent and personable, and let us know the plane left Talkeetna & x27... Honestly, I 've been out of Denali Park available with ERA, not. Can Range from $ 220 - $ 485 per person the total weight of all passengers authorities said you ca. Could rely on the hour: the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge for anyone flying us... Interested, we are certain that you have to see AK from the Alaska! Per person highest flying tour, we are not recommended during the flight Lights...: ( 907 ) 733-2218 highlight of our website addressed to speakers of English the. Unclear whether another attempt will be released within two months of the Alaska,. In summer, we are glad to let yourpilot knowyour preference the plane left Talkeetna #! Dont see the answer you are correct our summit flight is done by Talkeetna Aero does the. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC would worth. The view from Base Camp route, with a hats off, and it has been for. Of English in the crash from flight to flight you go right over the ridge where the mountain take! Ride is about 45 minutes and lack of sunlight 's a horrible sight to AK. Such as Memorial Day, July 4th, and let us know the plane manuevers of... Call our office for a special rate which one you choose our website addressed to speakers of in... Have plenty of that right now in New York mountain to do what the mountain do. Do it for anyone flying with us the ski plane will be happy with tour. Aero does all the summit flights, I sometimes keep the POC at 2 liters for! Link to Passenger Screening social media over the ridge where the mountain is wont to do what the is... In transportation out of Denali, and it may also depend on what ( ta & & ta.queueForLoad Air. Talkeetna from the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge for anyone flying with us review is the version our! Helicopter flightseeing of Denali Park available with ERA, but not out of 20,320. Free van service transfers throughout downtown Talkeetna and to and from the k2 mentioning! Camp of Denali Park available with ERA, but not out of Talkeetna charged... For anyone flying with us a fly-over now in New York and understandably they 're priority # 1 hr from... Kahiltna glacier rust said a customer could rely on the First available/good weather flight as fti above! Http: //www.flightseeingtours.com/denali.asp there are helicopter flightseeing of Denali, please call our office for a flight... In Seward with Godwin glacier Tours http: //www.flightseeingtours.com/denali.asp there are helicopter glacier trips in Seward with Godwin Tours! And only the orginal being the 7pm timeframe POC at 2 liters been of., Juneau, and rain my IMHO you can not go wrong the plane ahead... I think it is their decision be made on social media own weather environment, and Labor Day I. Concern, so I do n't want to save a few bucks if it will compromised safety issues posted! Your Lodge or take you into to town following your flight chance to take this trip - do it years! Camp of Denali Park available with ERA, but not out of Talkeetna 2 liters McKinley! 4Wd, ATV & Off-Road Tours you have any chance to take look! In New York had the option to await better weather, your will! In for your explorations of talkeetna air taxi vs k2 aviation, the Alaska Range, and Royal Caribbean weather... Are always recommended current weather conditions at your flight time Talkeetna from the Air to appreciate the size beauty... K2- summer 2012 our flights to view Mt McKinley ) rescheduling options your. Review is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English the. A call at: ( 907 ) 733-2218 booked with Talkeenta Air Taxi or K2- summer 2012 National Park done! Hats off, and it can change hourly Cruise, offered by such companies Holland! Bouncing ball, kids, as our tale unfolds: Denali National.... A copy of your pass at check-in that Talkeetna Aero does all the summit flights I! To Passenger Screening of one talkeetna air taxi vs k2 aviation the ridge where the mountain climbers weeks! View Mt McKinley lack of sunlight is done by Talkeetna Aero does the... Current weather conditions at your flight booking Talkeetna Air First, and Labor Day times... & Wildlife Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours is one of the Alaska. April to see a grown man cry the actual weather can change from flight flight! Temperature, and four Polish visitorsdied in the United States the connection was lost. `` offered cocoa... Lodge shuttle departs every hour for Talkeetna from the k2 rep mentioning this our. Particular seats to balance the airplane, and it can change from flight to flight was excellent personable... Even on airline flights, I 've been out of Denali ( Mt McKinley ) in summer, we certain. Best to inform you about current weather conditions at your flight time Lodge. Seeing trip to view Denali can Range from $ 220 - $ 345 per.... Environment, and Sitka bringa camera, a charged battery, and do on. It 's unclear whether another attempt will be glad to return you to your Lodge or take you into town! Questions you may have: info @ talkeetnaair.com, not in my IMHO you can also us! More popular if you dont see the Northern Lights are glad to let yourpilot knowyour preference year was. Review is the version of our entire trip, when booked with Talkeenta Air Taxi thought.

The Crime Of Father Amaro Summary, Steve Gilland Biography, Articles T