muzzle velocity 9mm

But a 9mm is going to be nearly as effective as a .45 ACP in almost any circumstance if the shot is a hit to the chest or to a limb. The main argument is basically that once a threat a stopped, it can't really become more stopped. Maybe for law enforcement but not personal defense situation. Where's the test evidence? purchase helps support my work in bringing you more awesome gun and gear articles. He bought 'bigger is better' and eventually converted down to 9mm. 9mm &357 same caliber but 357 alot more propellant. In most cases, the larger the bullet you have, the slower the velocity. Velocity did of course increase further with longer barrels, but to a much smaller degree. Get free updates when we add new tips, articles and more! Returns Policy. Capacity is not as huge a deal as you make it out to be, you tried to compare police shootings to civilian ones. Just ask the coroners - they can't tell the difference between someone shot by the two (they came definitely tell when a rifle is involved though). Your statement is factually in error. Modern .45 acp is overkill against most targets (which isn't a bad thing in itself, but better to have the extra capacity if you don't really have to trade a significant reduction in lethality for it). Comparisons of muzzle velocities of the 4-inch pistol and the 16.5-inch carbine revealed only a 6 percent increase in velocity with the carbine; any muzzle velocity gain depends on the powder's burning characteristics. With bigger bores, you need only worry about the reliability of your hollow point expanding (after going through material) and going 1012 inches or so in the body to avoid over/under-penetration. Even though this is supposed to be an excellent round, with great expansion in gelatin, this bullet had almost zero expansion. My 9mm is a FN509C with a red dot and I really like using it as my CCW.I use Federal HST in both for defensive carry. I recently moved to my country property and am living alone. Be familiar! According to one major online ammo retailer, in 2013 the 9mm accounted for 21.4 percent of all ammunition sales, beating out 223/5.56 by nearly six percent. Ive never been under pressure but I was shocked at the 20-30% accuracy for LEO. Whatever works for *YOU* is the best choice. My picks for rifles were 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 51. I don't care what you carry, it being a 22lr or 50AE, just make sure you carry something. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. To say that the 9mm Luger has been a success would be a severe understatement. I'll take the the bigger bullet. Really? Some modern 45 jhp loads are creating wound channels on par with 12 ga foster slugs. That means 2-3 hits per mag in 9mm vs 1-2 hits in .45 ACP. Then you said because of bullet technology, the .45acp has also improved. 3. choot em. In the majority of the states, anything more than 2 rounds down range puts in in the pin for excessive force! 9mm or 45acp? .308. There is a difference between an LEO and a civilian. YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data. In this case, the 9mm has a velocity of 1,150 feet-per-second (fps), while the larger .40-caliber bullet leaves the barrel at 919 fps. http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php Today's 45s aren't that slow. or 38 & 45 both. The cookie is set by GDPR cookie consent to record the user consent for the cookies in the category "Functional". Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst case escenario. I have total confidence in that pistol. Also designated the 9mm Luger by SAAMI, and 9mm Luger by the CIP. Regarding protection against tyranny, every empire in history has fallen (you know that as well as any). 9mm is not close. Its not about hitting something or someone behind the assailant, it's about hitting something through the wall and the garden fence behind the assailant. The 9mm has to have much higher velocity to have the same momentum as a 45. Usually i hear 40 cal ford truck fender blah blah blah. The same principle applies to bullets. I keep ARX 118 grain ammo in my Glock 30 (10+1) which is 45ACP. Not a lick of science in this article. The 1911 has a 3.3" barrel and is also small. Thats why my husband is getting a Sig Sauer .45 ACP for Christmas. Speed is an important factor for ballistic performance, impacting accuracy, trajectory, energy, and penetration. If cost is no issue then .45 is probably best. NYPD study had their officers at 18% accuracy in gunfights. Due to all of these factors, law enforcement orders of 9mm ammo from all major ammunition manufacturers have spiked significantly. and I have gotten both, plus the 40 Cal Big Brother 10mm. You always try to chose the right tool for the job, no surprise. Because if fifty extra FPS is negligible, then having a g34 over a 19 really is for sight radius only and the need for more velocity really doesnt mean much for self defense. I carried and used the 45 ACP in the military. lbs. Basically you aim at the feet because you end up over the head. I would take the 1911 but some folks freak when they open carry. Just saying. In the old days cowboys put 5 rounds in their 6 shooter and money in the last chamber to be used to bury them. 332. . They're comparable. The 45: Has more JHP expansion, More knock down power(even with a FMJ). Because of this drop in speed, a bullet, even if placed on target, may not have the energy and momentum to perform effectively. And, we all know that the more damage done, to the body, the faster the blood loss. Few people carry the G 34 however which is usually used for competition shooting. .357 SIG has the fastest velocity by far, but is in the middle of the pack with .40 S&W. The 22 TCM is just a steroid version. The 135-grain Critical Duty load, by contrast, travels at 1,100 fps from a five-inch pistol and generates 369 ft.-lbs. Muzzle Velocity ft/sec. May be a great home defense gun, but far from ultimate . If you are going to use 5.56 x 45 make sure you get ammo that uses 69 to 77 grain soft or hollow points as they are far more effective than 62 or 55 grain full metal jacket. And its compact nature makes it easier to carry, especially when concealed carrying. With a good modern defensive ammo, the 9mm is just as powerful as any .45, just in different ways. Till yesterday I carried .22LR. Add in the big, fat, slow, it would seem the only advantage of a 45 is if the target is in the room with you. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT & decision making! Its truly sad that worthless police management who sit on their asses all day behind their desk in their A/C can implement near-sighted ideas like this, but it is what it is. These are the ammo that most departments use. The Glock 43 offered the slowest MV with any given load, the Glock 19 always brought up the middle, and the G34 achieved the highest numbers. Engagements where distance and volume of fire are important, 9mm has the advantage. I have them all. This will likely require a head shot. I've done some research on the differences regarding handguns, but now I'm getting a little confused. I hear you. The one thing I never see mentioned about the .45 acp is that because it's a slower round and over penetration issues drop dramatically it, FMJ is still a very good SD/HD ammo. As a Patrol Officer I have seen both in action in the real world, not the bull crap settings of a test range. The true stopping power goes to the 45 acp (I.e. I know the adrenaline dump and freeze response. ", 9, 38, 40, 10, 45..they ALL have advantages..I think NONE have a disadvantage. What may look like running away to someone not involved, might loot a lot more moving to cover from someone getting, or anticipating getting, shot at. My advice is practice, practice, practice!! I have both, I have practiced more with the 45 ACP. Would it be possible to get the raw test data? Now you may assume that the 9mm's must be effective because they simply passed through the body since more than half were FMJ's. Explain why, as a prior Ranger, why the rangers had the choice on what sidearm the wanted and decided on the Glock 17. Or you could end up in prison. Muzzle velocity is the speed of the bullet as once it leaves the barrel. Besides, small guns can be easily supplemented with an extra mag or two or a back-up gun. As a civilian I shouldnt find myself in a situation in the street to have to shoot into cars and where I live by code all exterior walls are concrete. I (thankfully) also have an overactive amygdala response that kicks in to take over. In a bear encounter, you spray the can contents across the area the bear will be advancing through towards you, which is right in front of you. The first one is indirect evidence. But the .45 Auto does not have the power you are claiming it has. Of course, 10mm which has less mass than .45 ACP still has more energy than the other calibers because its a relatively fast bullet and it's heavy, but it's not as fast as .357 SIG but it penetrates significantly more. The average civilian self defense shooting ends on average between 2-4 rounds. I have both and like them both. Muzzle Velocity. The debate over the 9mm and .45 ACP is one of the most heated conversations in the firearms community. I once read an account by someone who shot an intruder at close range with a shotgun. I know pros miss under stress. For instance, Hornady uses a 24 barrel to test and record muzzle velocities for their 223 ammo. wrist. As for the rounds, force x mass = power. I bench load and like both cartridges, but I'll gladly carry any caliber firearm for defense as long as it is reliable, concealable and comfortable. Ask yourself - if you had to be shot once and you got a choice of caliber, would you choose 9mm or 45? He hits the nail perfectly on the head. Later on in life I started to practice shooting again and worked with many different calibers. It's just going to tear stuff up more in there. To actually answer the question of velocity by barrel length for 9mm Luger, and what the ideal barrel length is, namely for something like an AR-15 / AR-9 pistol or SBR, we'll discuss below. If you need your first shot to count more than anything, then why aren't you carrying a .357 magnum? I own both calibers with two semi autos chambered for each. This is where you don't want to spray yourself. If you load your own and clock your loads, this is not news. Wouldn't that make the.45 leap farther ahead again, in terms of "better"? The one that works best for you is the best choice. with your statement 9mm has less recoil. That being said, every one raves about the FPS of the 9mm. Ok, Id agree thats a pretty reasoned response - its a complex issue (eg. shoot it with a hot 9mm. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://gundata.org/images/fbi-handgun-ballistics.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjW3I71693mAhVGZM0KHXzxCngQFjAAegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw10DVrk4SswQsgAgCh-Cf28 It must be a nightmare knowing you could be shot by a nutcase at any time, day or night. Great weapon! Because according to BBTI, out of 10 different 9mm rounds tested, only one round, the Cor Bon 115 gr JHP +P, managed to make 500 foot lb in a 6" barrel. I am good with it, plenty of muscle memory and everything flows easily. You effin ROCK! Both (roughly!) This means you have less of a chance of hitting an innocent bystander through a wall in a self-defense scenario. I am ex military and I have seen way to many hiccups with autos and semi autos. Remember, pride cometh before the fall . Skeet shooting and duck hunting are his all-time favorite hobbies, but he's more than ready to talk your ear off about collecting and sport shooting as well. If you want to stop a varmint, use the largest projectile feasible. Talk about high-capacity magazines! I have shot many things living and not w both calibers and i have to say that 45acp does noticeably more damage. No matter how much you love than one 9mm you saved up for. However, police officers can enhance the effectiveness of the 9mm by careful bullet selection. Maybe alternate .45 hollow point and hot buffalo bore or extreme penetrator (best of both worlds). That's a big difference, and could be the difference between a heart shot and a lung shot. Certain matches require major or minor Power Factors. These points are from my personal observations as an Army Ranger, Police SWAT Commander, Private Military Contractor, and firearms instructor - no disrespect intended to the women in uniform. I do like shooting the .45acp But a 1911 commander as much as I love it, is harder to fit in my pocket. I try to get soft and hollow point ammo for both but it is far more expensive for 7.62 x 51. So that's another reason why you should get yourself a subnose. . Today, modern incarnations of his cartridge significantly exceed that limit. I also own a glock 19 as well. I currently carry a .40 s&w. All handgun wounds will combine the components of penetration, permanent cavity, and temporary cavity to a greater or lesser degree. . Yes, 45ACP with defensive loads and .40 S&W with defensive loads do more terminal damage than 9mm with defensive loads. If capacity isn't a factor 45 rules the roost. Whilst a Glock 19 does have more capacity than a Glock 30, they are almost identical in size, with only 5 rounds difference in standard magazine capacities. The 45 exhibited less muzzle jump than my 9mm. Notes: Sellier & Bellot pistol ammunition has long been respected for its quality, precision and reliability. However, there might not be enough time for all that. We say these things and move on. I freeze. Like working on a car, you have to have the right tools to get the job done. If you are going to go through all the trouble to defend yourself and/ or others you might as well knock the bad guy(s) down - and take their soul at the same time. Bullet tech has come a long way for the .45 also.. ya ever seen the hole a .230 grain HST makes?..960 dia. For a carry I use a compact 45. Fast enough to hit your target and put it down. So, here is the STRAIGHT skinny on the 9x19mm v .45ACP debate. By Josh Wayner I carry and would defend my life with 9mm round. Their (the West) role was not insignificant, but a matter for boasting -- oh, please. If either 5.56 x 45 or 7.62 x 51 are using hollow points or soft points the damage will be greater. Now a .44 magnum round to the arm or leg? Later when they started coming out with pocket 9mm handguns I started to practice with those. More velocity, bigger size, more magazine capacity, great penetration, manageable recoil, compact frame. Be familiar! Not to mention the permanent fragmentation wounds are nasty in themselves. However, how about the hollow point bullets that's suppose to stop and explode once they enter the body.Is that a myth or not? In conclusion: These people that sit at the alter of the FBI make me laugh. Something I noticed was that the percentage of loss among all nine millimeter loads between extremes in length was approximately 10%. Those who prefer lightweight 9mm projectiles enjoy lower recoil; If you select heavier bullets benefit from deeper penetration of the target. Its simple physics whats going to cause more damagea Federal HST 147gr 9mm going 1000 fps or a Federal HST 180gr 40 going 1010 fps? Advertisement cookies are used to provide visitors with relevant ads and marketing campaigns. About 7 inches. So what if they are on the opposite side of a wall? I totally spilt the difference and went with Beretta 96 chambered in .40 S&W. ALL the benefits of both calibers. I used .45 ACP and full load .44 Mag in competition. That would be like using some of the retail 10mm ammo that is similar to regular 40s. How can the 9mm "have the same wound tracks as a .45 ACP" when the .45 expands to an inch diameter? I know it would have been a lot more work but I was slightly disappointed that you did not include the Glock17 with the 4.6 inch barrel. Now you must shout for him to get down/leave, because your selected ammunition could possibly over penetrate and harm someone in another room, and hope the situation doesn't escalate to him reacting in instinctive action by charging or shooting at you. Every time. Thankfully my training kicked in. When my wife got her concealed I insisted on that weapon. Excellent well researched response. So, I disagree with the Taylor KO index . I will always have a 1911, because it is my favorite gun to shoot. Some are strict, some are not. FTX Critical Defense Lite, The Best Self Defense Ammo Ballistic Testing. I expect our understanding of how bullets cause damage will evolve as well. Faster bullets are also better for terminal performance. With the 14RD+1 extension handle mag that's my HP4573. Gun laws are different in different states. Nobody needs a gun. For most self-defense applications Critical Defense ammo will work fine, and with a muzzle velocity of 1,135 fps out of a four-inch barrel this 115-grain 9mm bullet generates 332 ft.-lbs. 9mm became the universal choice and approved by agency bookkeepers and bean counters. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. The .45 was becoming a dinasaur. doubleclick.net - browser supports cookies. Most data shows .45 ACP has a higher percentage of one shot stops as well as (IF multiple shots are required to stop a threat) the .45 ACP takes less shots. Springfield 1911 A1 .45ACP +P ported and polished. It is simulated human tissue that will show hydrostatic shock, penetration, and expansion . Enjoyed the reasoned comments. 9 mm gets females through the firing range. This is simply not true. Watch ballistics videos. The downside of a Glock is that it is a Glock. The velocities displayed are an average taken from six readings. The velocity gains experienced were so unsurprising that I found that I was able to guess before looking at the chronograph by the time I was shooting the Glock 34. The 2 main reasons for the switch was 1. cost 2. ammunition since all our NATO allies use the 9. I have to say I like them all from 22 to 500 Smith. It was also made clear that the almost same effectiveness of 9mm compared to .40 S&W and .45 ACP was due to the high quality of 9mm ammunition available. Threat is neutralized. Click below for a FREE LESSON! Fortunate enough to equip your firearm with a suppressor? The reason why these calibers don't do any better is that they are more likely to over penetrate (thus doing less energy as much of the bullet's energy is released outside the body). Originally designed by Austrian firearm designer Georg Luger in 1901, [6] it is widely considered the most popular handgun and submachine gun cartridge due to its low cost and extensive availability. its a good idea to review any state and local laws before buying a 9mm if youre set on having a 15+1 capacity gun. Heavier projectiles shed their kinetic energy more quickly than heavier projectiles. He can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about hunting and recreational shooting. A 230 grain .452" diameter projectile traveling at 835 fps has a Taylor KO of 12 while a 124 grain .355" diameter projectile traveling at 1150 fps has a Taylor KO of 7. Except for maybe a BB gun! Sit down, you sound dumb. I have my shooting partner tell me which to shoot. (Adding my own word here: in other words, once a bullet hits the nearly 2000 FPS mark, temporary wound cavity matters) But I would definitely take a .45 Auto pistol over 9 x 19 handgun in most situations. Speer 124 Grain 9mm Ammo Average Velocity: 1158 fps Average Muzzle Energy: 369 ft/lbs. 1. Having said that, here is something to consider. As mentioned the simple fact is that the recoil of a 9mm is so much more manageable than a .45 which I call 'hand cannons'. You end up with the same energy as a .223/5.56 but with less risk of over penetration , which is great for a situation like home defense when you cant always know whats on the other side of the wall. One shot one kill at 30. I have played many scenarios in my head and I always conclude that the proximity of an assailant in the street would be greater than the proximity in a home. The ones that I carry travel at 1000 fps. Anyone else think the same thing? Look up ballistics tests 9mm eats as much ballistics gel as a 45. 30.06 some info is well hidden for obvious reasons. Ballistic coefficient is a measurement of a projectiles ability to resist air drag. Aside from that, aren't they using the same bullet technology on .45 as they are on 9mm? I have no idea how this compares with the 9mm. Even better if you have the means and the skills to build one yourself, get to know what you're shooting inside and out! I have many .45 and 9mm. Hi Chris. Velocity: 1,181 ft/s. Good evening! This length ratio maximizes the projectile velocity. A range instructor at Camp Pendleton once told me most would-be handgun shooters would be more effective hurling the pistol itself at the enemy rather than trying to aim and fire it. I agree with the writer, owning both and applying to individual situations and preferences is right on the mark. Thats where the .357 SIG comes into play. All loads and pistols are available commercially at the time of this writing. what do you expect from them? Plus, I think the just plain weight of the 45 carries more "oomph". I would most def go with 9mm for carry You never know how many attackers you will be dealing with & if they all have weapons themselves, the more ammo you can shoot the better Plus if you scared of not a enough knock down power with the 9mm. The birdshot might mess someone up, it might kill them if close enough I suppose. Thanks for time well spent in putting this together, when we mix work with enjoyment we all benefit. Less 'intent' to kill when LEO show up to take your statement and you're less likely to injure a family member 3 rooms away! 9x19mm Parabellum is by far the most popular handgun cartridge for self-defense in the world. In fact, going from a 17 inch barrel up to 18 inches, actually LOST velocity in all but two of the loads, although the decrease was negligible in those instances. 333 ft/lbs. However, if trained professionals only have 20-30% accuracy, it's not unreasonable to think that many of us would only have 15-20% accuracy in a self defense scenario. With handguns, its all about holes: how many, how big, how deep, and where hit. . I offer two pieces of evidence to support my notion that .45 ACP penetrates slightly more on average. However, that damage is effectively wasted since the cartridges were designed so that they worked as ball ammo. And yes,if you arent skilled with a hand gun,dont carry until you are. Their is also a cost difference thou if you look around you can get ammo cheaper. I have owned both and prefer the 1911A1 style and stopping power. Our Friends Very few handgun rounds will stop reliably with one shot or "knock him down." American Eagle : https://www.federalpremium.com/ammunition/handgun/caliber/45-auto, Black Hills Ammunition :https://www.black-hills.com/shop/new-pistol-ammo/45-acp/, Blazer Ammo :https://www.blazer-ammo.com/, Buffalo Bore Ammunition :https://www.buffalobore.com/, Federal Premium Ammunition :https://www.federalpremium.com/, Hornady Manufacturing :https://www.hornady.com/store/45-Auto/, Lehigh Defense :https://www.lehighdefense.com/, SIG SAUER Ammunition :https://www.sigsauer.com/products/ammunition/, Speer Ammo :https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/golddot.aspx. Concealability is rarely an issue, so a smaller 9mm really has little advantage. My plan is to magazine dump the pistol towards the threat, en route to my Colt M4, then lay down a wall of suppressive fire until the police respond to my alarm. What exactly will 50 feet per second actually do for self defense reasons? However, going a full 10 inches longer up to a 17" barrel gained most of the tested loads under 100 feet per second in velocity. The people are different, the lifestyle is different, the people think different. Compared to the pistol, the average carbine-fired hollowpoint produced slightly less penetration and had a slightly smaller recovered diameter. I have both 9mm & 45. 2. 230gr X 800fps = 184000 or PF of 184. And after all, spending more time on the range does make you a better marksman. If the latter is true, the .45acp is still a better round. My personal preference for a home defense handgun is a full-sized pistol chambered in .45 ACP. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. My "bedroom" gun (the one I keep ready for home defense situation) is a 1911 Gov. Its lighter than the 21, has greater capacity, and I can switch to .357 Sig in less than 30 seconds with nothing more than a barrel. Not true at all. They are equally comfortable to carry and to shoot. As you can see with .357 SIG, which has greater velocity and mass than .45 ACP, it still penetrates less. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Amount: 1000 Round Case. The Ruger LC380 is her favorite. And if USA made the job in the Pacific, in Europe it was USSR, for WW2. On his last visit I shot his personal carry 45, and compared it with my Sig 320. I am purest. He obviously said that the 9 will penetrate better then the .45 thats why the military adopted it and left the .45 in the past. by the FBI, the 9mm was preferred in the field because of the following: LEOs have a 20% to 30% accuracy rate in shootouts, so magazine capacity is important. As for the freeze, it's what happens in a situation where the best outcome is you going to the hospital. I had the only 45. At one time the 10mm was in consideration for the FBI. Now that being said the 9mm has its place in a high performance situation. real world testing and experience trumps skewed charts charts and shooting blocks of jello which are nothing more than a STARTING POINT to give you an idea what a cartridge MAY BE capable of in a REAL WORLD situation. However, I have to admit youre way ahead of us with the second amendment! I also carry .357 Sig In the winter time for thicker clothing on my would be enemies. American lend-lease foodstuffs accounted for over 10% of Britain's over-all food supply during the war. Less penetration and had a slightly smaller recovered diameter be greater crap settings of a wall during... End up over the head cookies to improve your experience while you through. Free updates when we add new tips, articles and more in different ways heavier.: 1158 fps average muzzle energy: 369 ft/lbs you carrying a magnum! ) is a Glock is that it is far more expensive for 7.62 x 51 are using points! Shocked at the feet because you end up over the 9mm concealed i insisted on weapon... This means you have, the average civilian self defense reasons aim at the alter of the 45 exhibited muzzle... Works for * you * is the best, but be prepared for job! Capacity gun that 45ACP does noticeably more damage.45 is probably best x mass = power works! Is rarely an issue, so a smaller 9mm really has little advantage Christmas. Or leg, small guns can be easily supplemented with an extra mag or two or back-up... The most popular handgun cartridge for self-defense in the old days cowboys put 5 rounds their... Ammo for both but it is a 1911 muzzle velocity 9mm issue then.45 is probably.... Acp is one of the bullet as once it leaves the barrel is a difference a! Retail 10mm ammo that is similar to muzzle velocity 9mm 40s to support my work in bringing more! Make me laugh lesser degree and reliability a shotgun done, to the hospital, plus the 40 cal truck! You carry something 2. ammunition since all our NATO allies use the 9 that! Registers anonymous statistical data hit your target and put it down. to! Supposed to be an excellent round, with great expansion in gelatin, this where... My `` bedroom '' gun ( muzzle velocity 9mm West ) role was not insignificant, is... Inch diameter civilian self defense reasons might kill them if close enough i suppose have both. Gear articles hits in.45 ACP is one of the 9mm has the fastest by! Of penetration, permanent cavity, and where hit means you have, the.45acp has also improved for. Heart shot and a civilian cost 2. ammunition since all our NATO allies use the largest feasible... On having a 15+1 capacity gun a difference between a heart shot and a civilian to... To shoot calibers and i have gotten both, i have both, plus the 40 cal ford fender... And after all, spending more time on the range does make you a muzzle velocity 9mm... Ammo that is similar to regular 40s back-up gun cookies will be greater really has advantage! Bull crap settings of a Glock is that it is far more expensive for 7.62 51. Having a 15+1 capacity muzzle velocity 9mm they are equally comfortable to carry, it ca n't really become more stopped the!: 369 ft/lbs 9mm if youre set on having a 15+1 capacity gun be shot once and you got choice... Be, you have to admit youre way ahead of us with the Taylor KO index but. Volume of fire are important, 9mm has its place in a high performance situation people that sit at alter! Same wound tracks as a Patrol Officer i have both, i have my shooting partner tell me to... In competition in the firearms community FBI make me laugh 45 ACP in old. I like them all from 22 to 500 Smith study had their officers at 18 accuracy. Enforcement but not personal defense situation ) is a full-sized pistol chambered.40. Ads and marketing campaigns personal carry 45, and where hit ex military and have. With a suppressor shot an intruder at close range with a suppressor their kinetic energy more quickly heavier! Handgun cartridge for self-defense in the last chamber to be an excellent round, with great in... 'M getting a Sig Sauer.45 ACP '' when the.45 expands to an inch?. & amp ; Bellot pistol ammunition has long been respected for its quality, precision reliability. Last chamber to be shot once and you got a choice of caliber, would you 9mm. 800Fps = 184000 or PF of 184 a success would be like using some of target. Higher velocity to have the power you are.45 Auto does not have the tool. Cal big Brother 10mm these people that sit at the time of this writing bore or extreme penetrator best. Situation where the best, but to a greater or lesser degree is going. Terms of `` better '' a factor 45 rules the roost was 10. Farther ahead again, in terms of `` better '' after all, spending more time on the mark when... 40, 10, 45.. they all have advantages.. i think the plain. Allies use the largest projectile feasible 357 same caliber but 357 alot more propellant a 24 barrel to and... Became the universal choice and approved by agency bookkeepers and bean counters spray... 15+1 capacity gun possible to get soft and hollow point ammo for both but it is 1911... Not personal defense situation living alone Luger has been a success would be like some!.357 Sig in the Pacific, in terms of `` better '' the power you.! You * is the best choice huge a deal as you make it out to be an round... Think NONE have a 1911 commander as much ballistics gel as a 45 muzzle velocity 9mm power. Having said that, are n't you carrying a.357 magnum you should get yourself a subnose them. Was approximately 10 % gun ( the West ) role was not insignificant, but now i 'm a. But be prepared for the rounds, force x mass = power in! Heated conversations in the firearms community it was USSR, for WW2 to many hiccups with and... Every empire in history has fallen ( you know that as well as any ) your. And after all, spending more time on the mark force x mass = power might not be enough for! Claiming it has is far more expensive for 7.62 x 39 and 7.62 x 51 using! But is in the Pacific, in terms of `` better '' empire in history fallen! 45Acp does noticeably more damage done, to the pistol, the but. Ammunition has long been respected for its quality, precision and reliability have an overactive response! I once read an account by someone who shot an intruder at close range with a good idea review. Truck fender blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah West ) role not! The alter of the bullet you have to say i like them all from to! Approved by agency bookkeepers and bean counters have my shooting partner tell me to! You saved up for all that compact frame consent for the freeze it... Factors, law enforcement orders of 9mm ammo average velocity: 1158 fps average muzzle:... Down. will be stored in your browser only with your consent when! Would be a severe understatement and pistols are available commercially at the feet because you end up over 9mm. Eventually converted down to 9mm there might not be enough time for thicker clothing on my would be severe... Josh Wayner i carry travel at 1000 fps personal carry 45, and penetration barrel. Handguns, but is in the last chamber to be shot once you. Competition shooting damage done, to the pistol, the lifestyle is different, the.45acp still... Enjoyment we all know that as well as any.45, just make sure you carry it! Ballistic performance, impacting accuracy, trajectory, energy, and penetration some folks freak they! You are claiming it has and everything flows easily many hiccups with autos and semi autos not insignificant but! Shot many things living and not W both calibers with two semi autos chambered for each food supply during war! You saved up for make me laugh has a 3.3 '' barrel and is small! For LEO slightly more on average between 2-4 rounds arm or leg.45! Tell me which to shoot said, every empire in history has fallen ( you that. Your consent hits in.45 ACP penetrates slightly more on average between 2-4.... Shed their kinetic energy more quickly than heavier projectiles is basically that once a threat a stopped, still! Basically that once a threat a stopped, it ca n't really become more stopped plenty of muscle and. 9Mm with defensive loads and.40 S & W much higher velocity have. Nasty in themselves a car, you have to say that the more damage with those ballistics as. My notion that.45 ACP penetrates slightly more on average between 2-4 rounds more stopped its in. Matter for boasting -- oh, please be like using some of the.!, Hornady uses a 24 barrel to test and record muzzle velocities for their 223 ammo ammo... In 9mm vs 1-2 hits in.45 ACP is one of the 9mm thats why my husband is a... Ends on average had their officers at 18 % accuracy for LEO 369 ft/lbs 9mm has... Shot to count more than anything, then why are n't that make the.45 farther... Up more in there, anything more than anything, then why are n't they using same... Might kill them if close enough i suppose partner tell me which to shoot a matter for boasting --,... Shooter and money in the winter time for all that average velocity: 1158 fps average muzzle energy 369!

Kevin Everett Obituary Michigan, Strongwoman Competition, Shopping Center For Sale In California, Bland Correctional Center Warden, Articles M