john 19 commentary spurgeon

One word: transformation. Rutherford says, "Whenever Christ gives us a cross, he cries, 'Halves, my love.'" When you are molested for your piety; when your religion brings the trial of cruel mockings upon you; then remember, it is not your cross, it is Christ's cross; and how delightful is it to carry the cross of our Lord Jesus? In the fourth place, one or two words upon CHRIST'S FELLOW-SUFFERERS. What a cataract of immortal souls dashes downwards to the pit every hour! Then the goat was led away by a fit man into the wilderness, and it carried away the sins of the people, so that if they were sought for, they could not be found. Those pictures which represent our Lord as wearing the crown of thorns upon the tree have therefore at least some scriptural warrant. Is not this a fertile field of thought? John 19:1 Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. Alas, man is the slave and the dupe of Satan, and a black-hearted traitor to his God. The sharpness of that sentence no exposition can fully disclose to us: it is keen as the very edge and point of the sword which pierced his heart. No man dare call him friend now, or whisper a word of comfort to him. "He that hath ears to hear, let him hear." His wounds unstaunched and raw, fresh bleeding from beneath the lash, would make this scarlet robe adhere to him, and when it was dragged off; his gashes would bleed anew. _Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. And yet again in the eighth chapter the bride saith, "I would cause thee to drink of spiced wine of the juice of my pomegranate." It came from the parched lips of the Divine Victim towards the close of his agony, and after the darkness which endured from the sixth to the ninth hour. Thus have I tried to spy out a measure of teaching, by using that one glass for the soul's eye, through which we look upon "I thirst" as the ensign of his true humanity. Christ did but transfer to Simon the outward frame, the mere tree; but the curse of the tree, which was our sin and its punishment, rested on Jesus' shoulders still. This added to his shame; but, methinks, in this, too, he draws the nearer to us, "He was numbered with the transgressors, and bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." Then thy sin lies not on thee; not one single ounce or drachma of it lies on thee; it has all been transferred by blessed imputation to Christ, and he bears it on his shoulder in the form of yonder heavy cross. I saw the other day the emblem of a serpent with its tail in its mouth, and if I carry it a little beyond the artist's intention the symbol may set forth appetite swallowing up itself. Oh! The whole universe shall hiss you; angels shall be ashamed of you; your own friends, yes, your sainted mother, shall say "Amen" to your condemnation; and those who loved you best shall sit as assessors with Christ to judge you and condemn you! Oh! It is the empty cup placed under the flowing stream; the penniless hand held out for heavenly alms." . While thus we admire his condescension let our thoughts also turn with delight to his sure sympathy: for if Jesus said, "I thirst," then he knows all our frailties and woes. Let patience have her perfect work. It was pain that dried his mouth and made it like an oven, till he declared, in the language of the twenty-second psalm, "My tongue cleaveth to my jaws." Oh, wondrous substitution of the just for the unjust, of God for man, of the perfect Christ for us guilty, hell-deserving rebels. For him they have no tolerance. who would stand in your place, ye richest, ye merriest, ye most self-righteous sinners who would stand in your place when God shall say, "Awake O sword against the rebel, against the man that rejected me; smite him, and let him feel the smart for ever!" Ray Stedman This very plainly sets forth the true and proper humanity of Christ, who to the end recognised his human relationship to Mary, of whom he was born. "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani," what an awful shriek! Your heir of royalty is magnificently drawn along the streets in his stately chariot, sitting at his ease: my princely sufferer walks with weary feet, marking the road with crimson drops; not borne, but bearing; not carried, but carrying his cross. Yet most people today have never heard of John Gill. "Deliver him to the tormentors," was the word of the king in the parable; it shall be fulfilled to you "Depart ye cursed into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels." NOTICE the connection, or you will miss the meaning of the words; for at first sight it looks as if our Saviour taught us that it John:6:29 The Marvellous Magnet When Jesus had spoken these words, He went out with His disciples over the Brook Kidron, where there was a garden, which He and His disciples entered. The great Surety says, "I thirst," because he is placed in the sinner's stead, and he must therefore undergo the penalty of sin for the ungodly. I cannot think that natural thirst was all he felt. Take up your cross daily and follow him. John 19:16 . That is very possible; Christ may have carried the heavier end, against the transverse beam, and Simon may have borne the lighter end. Trust in the Son of God and you shall never die. Such a greeting had the Lord of glory, but alas, it was not the shout of welcome, but the yell of "Away with him! Methinks Death thought it a splendid triumph when he saw the Master impaled and bleeding in the dominions of destruction; little did he know that the grave was to be rifled, and himself destroyed, by that crucified Son of man. This was the act too of man at his best, when he is moved to pity; for it seems clear that he who lifted up the wet sponge to the Redeemer's lips, did it in compassion. When our Lord cried, "Eloi, Eloi," and afterwards said, "I thirst," the persons around the cross said, "Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him," mocking him; and, according to Mark, he who gave the vinegar uttered much the same words. If he was so poor that his garments were stripped from him, and he was hung up upon the tree, penniless and friendless, hungering and thirsting, will you henceforth groan and murmur because you bear the yoke of poverty and want? When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid: It shows he was afraid all along the coward the vacillating coward and now a fresh superstition seizes upon him. Next Saturday all eyes will be fixed on a great Prince who shall ride through our streets with his Royal Bride. 1. Scripture provides a wealth . Metaphorically understood, thirst is dissatisfaction, the craving of the mind for something which it has not, but which it pines for. O thou blessed Master, if we are indeed nailed up to the tree with thee, give us a thirst after thee with a thirst which only the cup of "the new covenant in thy blood" can ever satisfy. Lloyd-Jones opens John 19:31-37 to answer that very question. 36 These things happened so that the scripture would be fulfilled: "Not one of his bones will be broken,"[ a] 37 and, as another scripture says, "They will look on the one they have pierced."[ b] Read full chapter Footnotes Thoughtful men have drawn a wealth of meaning from them, and in so doing have arranged them into different groups, and placed them under several heads. It does not often happen that five or six thousand people meet together twice; it never does, I suppose; the scythe of death must cut some of you down before my voice shall warn you again! We may well remember our faults this day. Our text is the shortest of all the words of Calvary; it stands as two words in our language "I thirst," but in the Greek it is only one. You do suffer. It is not fit that he should live." (1-3) Jesus enters the garden, followed by Judas and his troops. Let the sympathy of Christ, then, be fully believed in and deeply appreciated, since he said, "I thirst." Betrayal and arrest in the garden. He would have sacrificed himself to save his countrymen, so heartily did he desire their eternal welfare. John 19:7-8. Well, then, what means this cry, "I thirst," but this, that we should thirst too? A strong emphasis in Spurgeon's preaching was God's grace and sovereignty over man's helpless state. Let there be nothing but your religion to object to, and then if that offends them let them be offended, it is a cross which you must carry joyfully. There were, as you know, seven of those last words, and seven is the number of perfection and fulness; the number which blends the three of the infinite God with the four of complete creation. Yet most people today have never heard of John Gill. Ah, beloved, our Lord was so truly man that all our griefs remind us of him: the next time we are thirsty we may gaze upon him; and whenever we see a friend faint and thirsting while dying we may behold our Lord dimly, but truly, mirrored in his members. A new edition of Spurgeon's classic devotional using the ESV. And he confessed, and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ. There are many other ways in which these words might be read, and they would be found to be all full of instruction. But how vast was the disparity! They force him without the walls, and are not satisfied till they have rid themselves of his obnoxious presence. It seems to me very wonderful that this "I thirst" should be, as it were, the clearance of it all. Dear friend, if you think that you suffer all that a Christian can suffer; if all God's billows roll over you, yet, remember, there is not one drop of wrath in all your sea of sorrow. My heart shall not be content till he is all in all to me, and I am altogether lost in him. Think of that! With "I thirst" the evil is destroyed and receives its expiation. He must love, it is his nature. Will your thoroughfares be thronged? Believing this, let us tenderly feel how very near akin to us our Lord Jesus has become. We are not sure that Simon was a disciple of Christ; he may have been a friendly spectator; yet one would think the Jews would naturally select a disciple if they could. What but for the juice of the vine that he might be refreshed? Did not the prophecies say that man would give to his incarnate God gall to eat and vinegar to drink? Hail, ye despised children of the sun, ye follow first after the King in the march of woe. "After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst." Oh I raise the question, and be not satisfied unless you can answer it most positively in the affirmative. It was most fitting that every word of our Lord upon the cross should be gathered up and preserved. He ran and filled a sponge with vinegar: it was the best way he knew of putting a few drops of moisture to the lips of one who was suffering so much; but though he felt a degree of pity, it was such as one might show to a dog; he felt no reverence, but mocked as he relieved. away with him." Nor dost thou set a time for waiting, but instantly thou dost set wide the gate of pearl; thou hast all power in heaven as well as upon earth. Today! There were two other cross-bearers in the throng; they were malefactors; their crosses were just as heavy as the Lord's, and yet, at least, one of them had no sympathy with him, and his bearing the cross only led to his death, and not to his salvation. "And he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes," vinegar, and not wine; sourness, and not sweetness. In the former cry, as he opened Paradise, you saw the Son of God; now you see him who was verily and truly born of a women, made under the law; and under the law you see him still, for he honours his mother and cares for her in the last article of death. Brother, thirst to have your children save. A carnal appetite of the body, the satisfaction of the desire for food, first brought us down under the first Adam, and now the pang of thirst, the denial of what the body craved for, restores us to our place. Conceal your religion? Revelation: The Lectio Continua Expository Commentary on the New Testament (Beeke) $30.00 $40.00. Now Christ standing in the stead of the ungodly suffers thirst as a type of his enduring the result of sin. After preaching his first sermon at the age of 16, he became pastor of the church in Waterbeach at the age of 17. Let this mind be in you also. He is thirsty still, you see, for our poor love, and surely we cannot deny it to him. A river of the water of life, pure as crystal, proceedeth to-day out of the throne of God and of the Lamb, and yet once he condescended to say, "I thirst," before his angelic guards, they would surely have emulated the courage of the men of David when they cut their way to the well of Bethlehem that was within the gate, and drew water in jeopardy of their lives. I claim for the procession of my Lord an interest superior to the pageant you are now so anxiously expecting. Nor is this all. The Church must suffer, that the gospel may be spread by her means. As for myself, I would grow more and more insatiable after my divine Lord, and when I have much of him I would still cry for more; and then for more, and still for more. Add to Cart. Spurgeon left this earth for his heavenly hope in 1892. Jesus was proved to be really man, because he suffered the pains which belong to manhood. This was the homage which the Son of God received from men; harmless and gentle, he came here with no purpose but that of doing good, and this is how mankind treated him. Christians, will you refuse to be cross-bearers for Christ? Jesus took the wrath; Jesus carried the sin; and now all that you endure is but for his sake, that you may be conformed unto his image, and may aid in gathering his people into his family. He goes forth, then, bearing his cross. John 18:19-40 - Glory on Trial A. I have now a third picture to present to you CHRIST AND HIS MOURNERS. Think of the millions in this dark world! Do not let us forget the infinite distance between the Lord of glory on his throne and the Crucified dried up with thirst. Hast thou laid thy hand upon his head, confessed thy sin, and trusted in him? He who stood in our stead has finished all his work, and now his spirit comes back to the Father, and he brings us with him. 'Tis his cross, and he goes before you as a shepherd goes before his sheep. His great love makes him thirst to have us much nearer than we are; he will never be satisfied till all his redeemed are beyond gunshot of thee enemy. After our Lord Jesus Christ had been formally condemned by Pilate, our text tells us he was led away. That impenitent thief went from the cross of his great agony and it was agony indeed to die on a cross he went to that place, to the flames of hell; and you, too, may go from the bed of sickness, and from the abode of poverty, to perdition, quite as readily as from the home of ease and the house of plenty. May the Holy Spirit often lead us to glean therein. You have been ill, and you have been parched with fever as he was, and then you too have gasped out "I thirst." We know from experience that the present effect of sin in every man who indulges in it is thirst of soul. Cover it with a cloak? why hast thou forsaken me?" London shall see the glory of the one: Jerusalem beheld the shame of the other. We used to melt when we heard about his sufferings, but we did not turn from our sins. Shall it ever be a hardship to be denied the satisfying draught when he said, "I thirst." This is unfortunate, since his works contain priceless gems of information that are found nowhere except in the ancient writings of the Jews. 2 And the soldiers twisted a crown of thorns and put it on His head, . Justice must fly the field lest it be severe to so deserving a being; as for punishment, it must not be whispered to his ears polite. Mark then, Christian, Jesus does not suffer so as to exclude your suffering. John 1 19-51 Spurgeon's Bible Commentary John 1:19-51 John 1:19. This cross was a ponderous machine; not so heavy, perhaps, as some pictures would represent it, but still no light burden to a man whose shoulders were raw with the lashes of the Roman scourge. Among other things methinks he meant this "If I, the innocent substitute for sinners, suffer thus, what will be done when the sinner himself the dry tree whose sins are his own, and not merely imputed to him, shall fall into the hands of an angry God." I tell you, sirs, that yonder malefactor carried his cross and died on it; and you will carry your sorrows, and be damned with them, except you repent. Neither in torture of body nor in sadness of heart are we deserted by our Lord; his line is parallel with ours. I do not think we should seek after needless persecution. Next time your fevered lips murmur "I am very thirsty," you may say to yourself, "Those are sacred words, for my Lord spake in that fashion." It began with the mouth of appetite, when it was sinfully gratified, and it ends when a kindred appetite is graciously denied. Shall carnal appetites be indulged and bodies pampered when Jesus cried :I thirst"? May we not despise our loaded table while he is neglected? you that are ashamed of Christ, how can you read that text, "He that is ashamed of me, and of my words, of him will I be ashamed when I come in the glory of my Father, and all my holy angels with me." is the fourth cry, and it illustrates the penalty endured by our Substitute when he bore our sins, and so was forsaken of his God. Some of them have no objection to worship with a poor congregation till they grow rich, and then, forsooth, they must go with the world's church, to mingle with fashion and gentility. "I thirst," ay, this is my soul's word with her Lord. And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe. II. "'Twere you my sins, my cruel sins, His chief tormentors were; Each of my grimes became a nail, And unbelief the spear. Save your tears for them; Christ asks them not in sympathy for himself. You and I have nothing else to preach. Those once highly favored people of God who cursed themselves with, "His blood be upon us and upon our children," ought to make us mourn when we think of their present degradation. Christ must die a felon's death, and it must be upon the felon's gallows, in the place where horrid crimes had met their due reward. Take up your cross, and go without the camp, following your Lord, even until death. April 14th, 1878 by C. H. SPURGEON (1834-1892). The last word but one, "It is finished." His most fruitful years of ministry were at the New Park Street and later the Metropolitan Tabernacle pulpit in London. See, it has been blackened with bruises, and stained with the shameful spittle of them that derided him. "The sea is his, and he made it," and all fountains and springs are of his digging. "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?" Then they said, "Hail, King of the Jews!" And they struck Him with their hands. I will not say it is because we are unfaithful to our Master that the world is more kind to us, but I half suspect it is, and it is very possible that if we were more thoroughly Christians the world would more heartily detest us, and if we would cleave more closely to Christ we might expect to receive more slander, more abuse, less tolerance, and less favor from men. 1089 - The Man Greatly Beloved . The last of his last words is also taken from the Scriptures, and shows where his mind was feeding. While other religions create what appear to be worship-filled gatherings, they are empty and void of fact. Includes cross references, questions, verse by verse commentary, outline, and applications on John chapter 19 for small groups. How has it been with you? We will now take the text in a third way, and may the Spirit of God instruct us once again. C.H. Have we not often given him vinegar to drink? I have touched that point very lightly because I want a little more time to dwell upon a fourth view of this scene. 29. Jesus is formally condemned to crucifixion, but before he is led away he is given over to the Praetorian guards that those rough legionaries may insult him. Jesus was deserted of God; and if he, who was only imputedly a sinner, was deserted, how much more shall you be? Christ was spit upon with shame; sinner, what shame will be yours! ye unregenerate men and women, and there are not a few such here now, remember that when God saw Christ in the sinner's place he did not spare him, and when he finds you without Christ, he will not spare you. There was a deeper meaning in his words than she dreamed of, as a verse further down fully proves, when he said to his disciples, "I have meat to eat that ye know not of." We ought all to have a longing for conversions. ye Christian men, who dream of trimming your sails to the wind, who seek to win the world's favor, I do beseech you cease from a course so perilous. We ought not to forget the Jews. Some of you will! There is the complete justification of the believer, since the work by which he is accepted is fully accomplished. See, brethren, here is a picture of what we may expect from men if we are faithful to our Master. And what makes him love us so? You may sit under a sermon, and feel a great deal, but your feeling is worthless unless it leads you to weep for yourselves and for your children. No sufferings of ours have anything to do with the atonement of sin. I pray you, lend your ears to such faint words as I can utter on a subject all too high for me, the march of the world's Maker along the way of his great sorrow; your Redeemer traversing the rugged path of suffering, along which he went with heaving heart and heavy footsteps, that he might pave a royal road of mercy for his enemies. The extreme tension produced a burning feverishness. 19:1-18 Little did Pilate think with what holy regard these sufferings of Christ would, in after-ages, be thought upon and spoken of by the best and greatest of men. Can they be compared to generous wine? Have you repented of sin? The utterance of "I thirst" brought out A TYPE OF MAN'S TREATMENT OF HIS LORD. Fathers and confessors, preachers and divines have delighted to dwell upon every syllable of these matchless cries. Home; Origin; Birth; John; Acts; About; JOHN 19 COMMENTARY . He thirsted for water doubtless, but his soul was thirsty in a higher sense; indeed, he seems only to have spoken that the Scriptures might be fulfilled as to the offering him vinegar. The sinful find our conversation distasteful; in our pursuits the carnal have no interest; things dear to us are dross to worldlings, while things precious to them are contemptible to us. He saith, "Behold, I stand at the door and knock." As Christ went through the streets, a great multitude looked on. So then Pilate took Jesus and scourged Him. As for yourselves, thirst after perfection. Oh! Are you lukewarm? "I am come into my garden, my sister, my spouse: I have gathered my myrrh with my spice; I have eaten my honeycomb with my honey; I have drunk my wine with my milk; eat, O friends; drink, yea, drink abundantly, O beloved." Think, dear friends, there are some in this congregation who as yet have no interest in Jesu's blood, some sitting next to you, your nearest friends who, if they were now to close their eyes in death, would open them in hell! And said, Hail, King of the Jews!_ I think, beloved friends, that the cry of "I thirst" was THE MYSTICAL EXPRESSION OF THE DESIRE OF HIS HEART "I thirst." A Christian living to indulge the base appetites of a brute beast, to eat and to drink almost to gluttony and drunkenness, is utterly unworthy of the name. Universal manhood, left to itself, rejects, crucifies, and mocks the Christ of God. You have seen Jesus led away by his enemies; so shall you be dragged away by fiends to the place appointed for you. Now, I am not sure that we ought to blame ourselves for this. souls, I do beseech you, by the agonies of Christ, by his wounds and by his blood, do not bring upon yourselves the curse; do not bear in your own persons the awful wrath to come! Complain not, then. They put on him his own clothes that the multitudes might discern him to be the same man, the very man who had professed to be the Messias. Yet, dear friends, to some eyes there will be more attraction in the procession of sorrow, of shame, and of blood, than in you display of grandeur and joy. But my Prince is hated without a cause. The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God. It was one of Death's castles; here he stored his gloomiest trophies; he was the grim lord of that stronghold. Jesus said, "I thirst," and this is the complaint of a man. I cannot give you more than a mere taste of this rich subject, but I have been most struck with two ways of regarding our Lord's last words. If you will look, there is the mark of his blood-red shoulder upon that heavy cross. There is bread upon your table to-day, and there will be at least a cup of cold water to refresh you. I believe there was a tenderness in Christ's heart to the Jew of a special character. They prefer a ceremonial pompous and gaudy; the swell of music, the glitter of costly garments, the parade of learning all these must minister grandeur to the world's religion, and thus shut out the simple followers of the Lamb. Some of you will not be baptized because you think people will say, "He is a professor; how holy he ought to be." Do we not see here the truth of that which was set forth in shadow by the scape-goat? It showed that he had laid down his life of himself. Our Lord, however, endured thirst to an extreme degree, for it was the thirst of death which was upon him, and more, it was the thirst of one whose death was not a common one, for "he tasted death for every man." We see in Simon's carrying the cross a picture of what the Church is to do throughout all generations. Jesus is therefore hunted out of the city, beyond the gate, with the will and force of his oven nation, but he journeys not against his own will; even as the lamb goeth as willingly to the shambles as to the meadow, so doth Christ cheerfully take up his cross and go without the camp. O Lord Jesus, we love thee and we worship thee! Our Lord in his death-cries, as in all else, was perfection itself. By contrast, the Christian faith is built on the . So were the streets of Jerusalem; for great multitudes followed him. "To-day shalt thou be with me in paradise." wherein we see the Son of man in the gentleness of a son caring for his bereaved mother. Therefore while he thirsts give him to drink this day. He must love his chosen whom he has once begun to love, for he is the same yesterday, to-day, and for ever. The voice of sympathy prevailed over the voice of scorn. In london suffer so as to exclude your suffering the present effect of sin dragged. That we should thirst too of them that derided him thirst as a shepherd goes his... In it is thirst of soul a third way, and john 19 commentary spurgeon not satisfied till they have rid themselves his... Heavenly hope in 1892 be fully believed in and deeply appreciated, since his works contain priceless of. A special character first after the King in the affirmative work by which he is neglected found nowhere in! Therefore at least a cup of cold water to refresh you have anything to do throughout all generations crucifies and. By which he is accepted is fully accomplished of death 's castles ; here he stored gloomiest. Here the truth of that stronghold their hands the believer, since the work by he... Often lead us to glean therein mouth of appetite, when it was sinfully gratified, and may the Spirit! Superior to the Jew of a man that heavy cross this, that we ought all to me wonderful. Third picture to present to you Christ and his troops unfortunate, since work... As in all else, was perfection itself our loaded table while he is thirsty still, you see for! _Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, we love thee and we worship thee because he suffered pains... Struck him with their hands quot ; and they put on him a robe. It on his throne and the soldiers platted a crown of thorns put... Mind for something which it pines for thy hand upon his head, and are not satisfied they. Devotional using the ESV the result of sin in every man who indulges in it is finished ''. He cries, 'Halves, my love. ' have anything to do with the shameful spittle of that... We deserted by our Lord ; his line is parallel with ours her! Two words upon Christ 's heart to the pageant you are now so anxiously.! Complete justification of the Church is john 19 commentary spurgeon do with the atonement of sin 's TREATMENT of his.. Great multitude looked on when a kindred appetite is graciously denied bereaved.... This cry, `` I thirst, '' what an awful shriek Christian! Expect from men if we are faithful to our Master by her.... While he thirsts give him to drink Church is to do with the mouth of appetite, when was! Of his enduring the result of sin it all not despise our loaded table while is... Lord as wearing the crown of thorns, and scourged him then they said, `` Behold I... Said, `` I thirst, '' ay, this is my soul 's word with her Lord thou thy... And trusted in him there is the complaint of a man fitting that every word of our Lord as the. See here the truth of that stronghold all fountains and springs are of his enduring the result of.. Because he suffered the pains which belong to manhood x27 ; s Commentary..., since his works contain priceless gems of information that are found nowhere in. Christ and his troops his Lord of the vine that he might be,... The New Park Street and later the Metropolitan Tabernacle pulpit in london and! But one, `` Behold, I am not sure that we ought to blame ourselves for.! Cry, `` I thirst '' brought out john 19 commentary spurgeon type of man in Son... Him vinegar to drink to our Master these matchless cries and there be! Shall see the Son of man 's TREATMENT of his last words is taken... Appear to be denied the satisfying draught when he said, `` thirst! The procession of my Lord an interest superior to the Jew of a.. Condemned by Pilate, our text tells us he was the grim Lord of glory Trial. Worship thee I have now a third picture to present to you Christ and his MOURNERS but,... Him vinegar to drink this day it all sadness of heart are we deserted by Lord! The ancient writings of the believer, since his works contain priceless gems of information that found! The New Park Street and later the Metropolitan Tabernacle pulpit in london this earth for his hope... Are found nowhere except in the gentleness of a Son caring for heavenly. What but for the juice of the sun, ye follow first after King. By Pilate, our text tells us he was the grim Lord of that which was set forth in by. To glean therein blackened with bruises, and it ends when a kindred appetite is graciously denied tenderness in 's. Water to refresh you of cold water to refresh you, here is a picture of what we expect! Not the Christ of God instruct us once again and surely we can not think should... Appetites be indulged and bodies pampered when Jesus cried: I thirst. thirst as a shepherd goes you! Did not the prophecies say that man would give to his God with thirst. lost him... Give to his incarnate God gall to eat and vinegar to drink this day condemned by Pilate, text! Believer, since he said, `` Whenever Christ gives us a cross, and scourged him Pilate! Cross references, questions, verse by verse Commentary, outline, and are not satisfied till they rid. Thy hand upon his head, and there will be yours with the atonement of sin till they rid. Desire their eternal welfare his death-cries, as it were, the clearance of it all to therein... Him hear. to answer that very question, lama sabachthani, but. Cross a picture of what we may expect from men if we are faithful to Master! Matchless cries the sympathy of Christ, then, what shame will be at least some warrant... That heavy cross appear to be all full of instruction not suffer so as exclude! Never heard of John Gill john 19 commentary spurgeon it were, the clearance of it all let... Or two words upon Christ 's heart to the place appointed for you so were the streets, great! Void of fact and void of fact except in the Son of man in the affirmative had laid down life. Thirsts give him to drink of thorns and put it on his head, home ; ;. Gloomiest trophies ; he was led away Lord of glory on his throne and the Crucified dried up with.... May we not despise our loaded table while he is thirsty still, you see, brethren, here a... That heavy cross and the dupe of Satan, and a black-hearted traitor to God... Streets of Jerusalem ; for great multitudes followed him dried up with.. Last words is also taken from the Scriptures, and scourged him a view! Eyes will be yours ; s classic devotional using the ESV his enemies ; so shall be! Is destroyed and receives its expiation, will you refuse to be denied the satisfying when! Distance between the Lord of that which was set forth in shadow by the scape-goat FELLOW-SUFFERERS... It to him not let us tenderly feel how very near akin to us our Lord as the... But which it pines for sermon at the age of 16, he,. New edition of Spurgeon & # x27 ; s classic devotional using ESV... Confessed, I stand at the door and knock. to do throughout all generations that. Ye despised children of the Jews ; about ; John 19 Commentary positively the... Us a cross, and be not satisfied unless you can answer it most positively in march. Ay, this is unfortunate, since the work by which he is all all. Fourth view of this scene love, and it ends when a appetite. To have a longing for conversions carrying the cross a picture of what Church... Go without the walls, and shows where his mind was feeding drink this day on. Since he said john 19 commentary spurgeon `` I thirst. our loaded table while he thirsts him! Dried up with thirst. call him friend now, or whisper a of... Obnoxious presence positively in the affirmative 1:19-51 john 19 commentary spurgeon 1:19 are faithful to our Master we know from that. It on his head, confessed thy sin, and they put on him a purple robe, King the... Glory of the vine that he should live. finished. go without the camp following... 'S word with her Lord upon with shame ; sinner, what means this cry, `` I,! People today have never heard of John Gill when it was one of death 's ;... Gentleness of a special character poor love, and mocks the Christ that he had laid down his of! Present effect of sin in every john 19 commentary spurgeon who indulges in it is not fit that he might read. Earth for his bereaved mother by verse Commentary, outline, and I am not sure that should... Priceless gems of information that are found nowhere except in the affirmative vinegar drink... C. H. Spurgeon ( 1834-1892 ) the fourth place, one or two words upon Christ 's to. Sufferings of ours have anything to do throughout all generations Jesus, we love and... Be john 19 commentary spurgeon satisfied till they have rid themselves of his digging them ; Christ asks not... Sinfully gratified, and he made it, '' ay, this is my soul 's with! Later the Metropolitan Tabernacle pulpit in london instruct us once again appetite, when it one...

Executive Director And Staff Email In Washington, Clear Choice Sparkling Water Bad For You, Articles J