buck belue valdosta high school

Im looking forward to reading it, Dooley said. Lowndes won the game 15-14. "So most days, at the end of the day, I would just jot down some notes from the day. Buck Belue 0:00 0:32 The "best team ever" conversation is an interesting one. He played at 6 feet, 2 inches, and 240 pounds but was exceptionally fast. Nelson knows he can't be too careful after he sparked a small-town tempest in the high school football hotbed of Valdosta, a city of more than 56,000 residents located about 15 miles north of the . During the banquet, Valdosta police would bring in a black wreath that said, Death to the Wildcats from the Lowndes High Vikings, McGuyrt recalled. Both were thrilled to have the chance to work with a former player whod not only been Valdostas quarterback, but had also played for Georgia and the Jacksonville Bulls of the USFL. He and his wife had an apartment next to the school, and I would go over to watch film with him. Mark Lemke joins me. The Vikings would begin playing crosstown rival Valdosta that same year, but it was a David-vs.-Goliath mismatch for the first decade or so, with Valdosta, boasting all those state and national championships not to mention a 50-year head start defeating the upstart Lowndes High in the teams first 11 games. ], Then, Valdosta was really laying down the hammer in 1971 [winning a national championship in Coach Bazemores final season]. Most coaches are going to take their schemes to the grave, but he learned the new offense and made the change for the team. Today's interviewee is Buck Belue, sports talk show host for 680 The Fan, quarterback for Georgia's 1980 national championship team, four-year starting quarterback at Valdosta, inaugural selectee into the new Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame and author of a new book, "Inside The Hedges," a look at Georgia's 1980 season and his athletic career. He bypassed his senior season and went to the USFL and totaled 7,046 all-purpose yards and 61 touchdowns in three years. One of their defensive linemen, Charles Bergman, got hold of Bucks jersey at the sleeve, and ripped it right off his back, Lastinger said. The Cats still maintain that designation. An astounding number at the time and a record that took more than a decade to break. There were coaches before him, but it was Wright Bazemore who took over as the Wildcats head football coach in 1942 and built the foundation for the winningest football team in the country. Buck was a great quarterback for maybe the toughest high school program to play forthe Valdosta Wildcats. Brooks would become Auburns all-time leading rusher with 3,523 yards, which remains third in school history. Four other ex-Georgia players helped Belue at the camp. Rush Propst believes the Netflix series "Titletown High," which debuts Friday and chronicles the 2020 season of the Valdosta High School football team, will "clear some things up" about . Defensive coordinator Erk Russell. The most improbable win for either team was this one, with Valdosta overcoming a 17-7 deficit in just 1:14 to win the Winnersville Classic over Lowndes. He was totally unselfish, too. Hundreds of people turned out at the The Salty Snapper, including former Valdosta High classmates and UGA teammates. What was the most memorable high school game that you played? Want to get the content before anyone else? Despite having played each other since 1968, the Lowndes vs. Valdosta game didnt become the Winnersville Classic until 1981. I was blessed with this great coaching. [Belue passed for a state-record 5,214 yards and won two region titles in his four Valdosta seasons. I would soak up all this knowledge. I showed them some drills that helped me, and I hope theyll help them as well. He was the quarterback for the Georgia Bulldogs in 1980, when the team went 12-0, and, after beating Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl, was named the consensus national champion. Sports Illustrated said last fall . Then, the second time was when they brought in Nick Hyder from Rome.. ], 4. Belue also details in the book how he balanced his baseball pursuits while competing to be the starting quarterback on a team that won back-to-back SEC championships. My wife and I, when we decided to buy a home we didn't really know where we wanted to go, but we're just really blessed to have found Cumming. You mentioned that you saw many of the players that were on the Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame ballot or were voted in. Im just humbled really by it all, just thankful that I was working alongside those coaches and teammates, without whom I wouldnt be able to enjoy something like this. Billy Henderson [Clarke Centrals coach] called three straight timeouts and iced the kicker. But the current Wildcats still know who he is. It turned out it was a bad snap from the center and threw off the timing. $1 Million - $5 Million. It turned out it was a bad snap from the center and threw off the timing. Coach Wilson would be saying we can throw to this running back because weve got this linebacker on him. They just burned the thing, Prince said. ET to 11:00 a.m. We still do that now, just not as much.. We just knew the crowd would go crazy, and it would fire up our players.. Thats when I figured it was time to go., 3. "Well,. He shared time with Jeff Pyburn a. His three children range in age from 8 to 11. Three, Ill win a state championship, which youve never won. Joe Wilson accomplished all three within three years.. Buck Belue famously guided Georgia's football team to a national championship 42 years ago. The dream was to wear that Valdosta uniform and do like every other graduate that came through, and that was win a state championship, and we played Clarke Central in Athens and lost 16-14. The interview below follows the Four Questions format, plus three bonus questions with Belues thoughts on making the Hall of Fame (induction is Oct. 22), his most memorable high school game and how coach Wright Bazemore made him a quarterback. And I have so many great memories of him taking time to help coach me up. My thought was that they played in Albany last night and probably got in bed at 3 a.m., and hes up scouting out the talent in town. He rushed for 3,133 yards in a nine-year NFL career. This University of Georgiarelated article is a stub. What are your thoughts on making the Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame? We just rolled with it and said the timing is the timing. Valdosta High School Graduate. To order a book or get a copy at a book signing, click here. He is currently co-founder and editor of Georgia High School Football Daily. I dont blame the players for feeling that way, said Dooley, who will turn 90 in September. They were running the same sets and plays. valdosta high school Fields Victoria Lane-Long Victor James Vivian Manghram Voncil Moss Sign up for our email newsletter. Freshman Buck Belue took over the starting Quarterback job at Valdosta in 1974 and he didn't give it back until he used up his eligibility. But it missed its mark literally. I had Jack Rudolph coaching the defense. Like those Thomasville players [during 1973 and 1974 state championship seasons]. Andrews was named to four Pro Bowls and earned two second-team All-Pro selections. The Georgia High School Association has levied a $7,500 fine against Valdosta High School, ordered the Wildcats to forfeit seven victories from the 2020 football season . One of the motivations for doing the book was to talk about Valdosta High School and the football program through the years, and Ive had so many people, whether theyre Bulldog fans or not, ask questions about how Valdosta won all those games. Heset a Bengals record in 1984 with four rushing touchdowns in a game against the Houston Oilers. I remember Stanley Bounds. I definitely wanted to share the Valdosta experience because Ive had thousands of people ask me over the years, What was the secret to Valdosta winning all those games all those years? Belue said. Our maintenance folks earned their pay that week.. But the current Wildcats still know who he is. We wanted to work with players who were (at Valdosta), who are committed to playing football. Buck Belue, who quarterbacked Georgia to a national championship in 1980, was at Universities Forever in Cumming on Saturday to promote his book 'Inside the Hedges: The Quarterback's Journey to the 1980 National Championship.' - photo by David Roberts. I remember Stanley Bounds. With Coach Bazemore, I just looked at him as an innovator offensively. No question about it.. He also added 1,487 rushing yards and . Their next option? What are your thoughts on making the Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame? Hyder became head coach your freshman year. Some call them Winnersville. Among the sanctions . You have permission to edit this article. Told of the passage about his Auburn flirtations, Dooley laughed and said he doesnt begrudge Belue for including it. I learned some things from him. Stan Rome was awesome, too. You need to watch him tonight, and he put on one of the most memorable performances I can remember seeing. We were playing old youth league football at 9, 10, 11 years old, and were playing at about 8 in the morning, and if you look back in the stands, youd usually see Coach Bazemore watching the games. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. Don Shula's Miami Dolphins went undefeated and won the Super Bowl. All Rights Reserved. George Rogers, the 1980 Heisman Trophy winner while at South Carolina, was the AJCs Class A Back of the Year in 1976 and Class B Back of the Year in 1975. We were in an extra bedroom, and his wife came in a couple of times and told him dinner was ready. Prince said thats when Joe Wilson decided he would accept an invitation to go over and meet with Martin. How would you contrast and compare those iconic coaches? Benjamin Franklin "Buck" Belue played American football and baseball at the University of Georgia from 1978 to 1981. As for the Dooley thing, Belue makes no apologies. Belue has been an ultimate survivor in a fickle business, more than 15 years doing afternoon sports-talk radio with 680 The Fan in Atlanta. 1 Brookwood in quarterfinals, Basketball: Warriors drop GAPPS state title game, Basketball: Lambert girls come up short against Norcross in 2nd round, Basketball: Raiders fall to Chiefs in state playoffs, Column: I was a newspaperman and always will be, Sudie Crouch: The weather predicting pittie, Mike Tasos: Call me a casualty of The Information Age, How this Forsyth Central High School teacher is using his passion to prepare students for the world of film, FOXERS makes upscale women's underwear that is both stylish and comfortable, Its about the music: Local man passes on passion for music with his handmade instrument inspired by 1800s Appalachia, How one local animal clinic sets the industry standard for pet care, I am part of their Family: Beloved chef makes dining a treat for residents of Arbor Terrace, Forsyth Sports football Pick Em for November 18th, Forsyth Sports Football Picks Playoffs Week 1, Forsyth Sports Football Picks for Week 12, Forsyth Sports football picks for Week 11, Forsyth Sports Football Picks for Week 10. We worked a lot on fundamentals. . Brooks rushed for 1,816 yards as a senior, 1,852 yards as a junior and 1,088 as a sophomore. In Buck's first year as quarterback the Valdosta Wildcats were 3-7. There was still a chance for the Vikings if they could return the kickoff, but they never got the chance. I had other friends there, too, just like they did that day in that room. I talked with Coach [Jim] Hughes about that later. He will be inducted with Belue in October. Kents second straight onside kick was again recovered, Wilkes took the snap and a knee, and that was that. 4 Georgia high school football player of all time. 2022 cohort graduation rate for Valdosta High School . McGuyrt also emceed the FCA banquet that was held the Thursday before the big game. The Falcons drafted Andrews in the third round, and he rushed for 1,000 yards in four of his first five seasons before a knee injury cut his career short. And when it came to recruiting, he was the only coach I felt like I could trust with the baseball thing. "The real motivation for me was, I've had so many people through the years ask me about Valdosta, where I grew up, and the football program being so successful," Belue said. He rushed for 1,332 yards as a senior, when Duluth missed the playoffs despite finishing 8-1-1, and ran for 2,300 yards and 28 touchdowns as a junior on a state runner-up team. Following a Lowndes punt, Valdosta took possession around midfield. Buck Belue (Buck Belue) "Tell us about "Inside the Hedges," Jim said. Those who were part of the game shared the plays and players they remember the most. Simmons was selected to the College Football Hall of Fame in 2008 and the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame in 2010. That turned on a light for me. The Winnersville Classic featuring Lowndes vs. Valdosta was born. Join Facebook to connect with Guy Belue and others you may know. "I got to work last year on it, before the football season started," Belue said. $100 would be given to the Lowndes player who could produce a piece of Bucks jersey. With Coach Bazemore, I just looked at him as an innovator offensively. He started in 78 out of 92 career games, made three Pro Bowls and was first-team All Pro once. By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism. Heads up to Atlanta area high school quarterbacks and receivers: I'll be hosting my annual QB Passing Camp this July, again. He was the most successful Lowndes coach against the Wildcats in the series. Old Friends . I was friends with Coach Wilsons son, Jody, so I got some behind-the-scenes access to practice and going to the games and seeing the locker room. We had a Valdosta booster, Charlie Whetherington, who knew a pilot, and they flew over a Valdosta practice the week of the game against Lowndes and dumped those flyers. The longtime Lowndes coach was quick to offer his memory of the best performance he saw in the Classic. In the spring of 1978, he won the Class A 100-yard dash in 10.02 seconds. 3 Georgia high school football player of all time by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 2007, and this is just his football career. We missed a chip-shot field goal that wouldve won the state championship for all of us. My thought was that they played in Albany last night and probably got in bed at 3 a.m., and hes up scouting out the talent in town. He played for what is regarded as the greatest Valdosta team ever, which went 13-0 in route to a Class 3A title. Even though we had practiced riding the mule out there on the field several times, we had not done it with 12,000 screaming fans, Prince recalled with a laugh. Im just humbled really by it all, just thankful that I was working alongside those coaches and teammates, without whom I wouldnt be able to enjoy something like this. He was a member of the Redskins Super Bowl champion in 1988. Rogers was the Wildcats team manager in 1994 and a top Wildcat supporter. Todays interviewee is Buck Belue, sports talk show host for 680 The Fan, quarterback for Georgias 1980 national championship team, four-year starting quarterback at Valdosta, inaugural selectee into the new Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame and author of a new book, Inside The Hedges, a look at Georgias 1980 season and his athletic career. You need to watch him tonight, and he put on one of the most memorable performances I can remember seeing. The 55-yard scamper, with Reid zig-zagging his way through the entire Valdosta defense on his way to the endzone, sealed the victory for the Vikings against the visiting Wildcats. Search and browse yearbooks online! Today's interviewee is Buck Belue, sports talk show host for 680 The Fan, quarterback for Georgia's 1980 national championship team, four-year starting quarterback at Valdosta, inaugural selectee into the new Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame and author of a new book, "Inside The Hedges," a look at Georgia's 1980 season and his athletic career. 2 in the state in Buck's senior season. The Bengals drafted him in the sixth round of the 1983 NFL Draft. Subtitled The Quarterbacks Journey to the National Championship, Belues book also shares frank recollections of the recruiting trail as a two-sport star out of Valdosta, the tense quarterback competition he endured with Jeff Pyburn, an intimate conversation he had with Lindsay Scott the night before their historic play to beat Florida in Jacksonville, the Herschel Walker phenomenon and much more. It was just playing for the Wildcats. ET. [4] His career batting average at Georgia was .356 and he went on to play three years in the Montreal Expos organization. Books can be ordered at InsideTheHedges.com or in person at one of Belues appearances. Benjamin Franklin "Buck" Belue played American football and baseball at the University of Georgia from 1978 to 1981. That term remained dormant until 1981, when Johnny B. Lastinger, a Valdosta High graduate and the executive vice-president of the Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce, decided to take advantage of the Winnersville designation. He also added 1,487 rushing yards and 87 passing or rushing touchdowns. Rome settled on professional football, playing four NFL seasons with the Chiefs. That was the dream of every young athlete in Valdosta, and that dream didnt go much further than that. Belue said he flirted with shopping his book to outside publishers, but opted instead to publish it himself. "I had no idea that Georgia would win the national title. There were so many, but I remember Todd Peterson in the 1987 game kicking a 47-yard field goal to beat Lowndes at their place, OBrien said. High School: Valdosta HS (Valdosta, GA) School: University of Georgia (Athens, GA) Full Name: Benjamin F. Belue View Player Info from the B-R Bullpen Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. This biographical article relating to an American football quarterback born in the 1950s is a stub. What do most people want to talk to you about at these book signings? I had wanted to meet him, said Turner, the only other quarterback to start as a freshman for Valdosta in the last 50 years. Valdosta is the principal city of the Valdosta Metropolitan Statistical Area, which in 2021 had a population of 149,590. I was always a fan of the top players and programs and curious about the way they did it, what scheme they were running. I basically wrote it on a Word document with the help of an editor, Belue said in a telephone interview this week. Two, Ill beat Valdosta, which youve never done. But it was more than that. The book has become a family affair. Closed on Weekends. I was always a fan of the top players and programs and curious about the way they did it, what scheme they were running. Kinnebrew signed with Georgia but transferred to Tennessee State. That would be the last time we tried anything like that, said Prince. Last season, he was backup to another Valdosta alumnus, All-Southeastern. The signing will be held at the Salty Snapper, located at 1405 Gornto Road in Valdosta, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Belue will also be speaking to all in attendance, discussing details about the book starting . All the 1980 UGA stars are mentioned, but also prominently featured are teammates such as Nat Hudson, Hugh Nall, Jimmy Womack, Amp Arnold, Jimmy Payne, Eddie Weaver and Nate Taylor and assistant coaches Mike Cavan and Wayne McDuffie, among others. He's the host of the Buck Belue Show on Atlanta sports radio's 680 The Fan every weekend from 10:00 a.m. There is no denying that Rush Propst as a football coach, is as good as they come for on-field success. ITG Next is your go-to source for high school sports media coverage in Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and across the country. 16VALDOSTA Former Georgia national champion and Valdosta High quarterback Buck Belue returns to Valdosta Friday. Rogers was among three Georgians named to the 1976 Coach & Athlete All-America team. He came in from West Rome with the idea of running the wishbone like he was doing in Rome, and I was coming over for spring football as an eighth grader, and it wasnt a couple of months later we were back for preseason practice, and he was totally shifted to the Bazemore offense, as we called it. Nobody would have a better perspective from a players standpoint than Buck as the quarterback of that team.. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it. He is also the only quarterback to start all four years for the Valdosta Wildcats where he was inducted as a member of the Valdosta High School Hall of Fame in 2007.[10]. High School Highlights - Portal state basketball advances Prep Sports Blitz - Feb. 18, 2023 The Eagles Nest - Feb. 19, 2023 Stan Rome was a dominant two-sport athlete who still holds the state record for most receiving yards in a career (4,477) despite playing in a run-dominated era. Sign up now to get our FREE breaking news coverage delivered right to your inbox. When I got to Georgia, I felt I was way ahead of the curve. But I never in any way committed to them.. 1996 Currently, Belue co-hosts (with John Kincade) midday radio show Buck and Kincade on 680 The Fan in Atlanta, Georgia. Baker said the cheerleaders from both teams would usually meet at one of the girls homes, and the groups would alternate each season. Ben Belue, 71, of Valdosta was a devoted family man and lifetime sales executive, born in Anniston, Ala. on Nov. 28, 1940 and raised in Macon, Ga. where he attended Lanier High School. Benjamin Franklin "Buck" Belue played American football and baseball at the University of Georgia from 1978 to 1981. Belue threw for 299 yards in his career, completing 37 of 68 passes with 3 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Youve been to about 10 cities to sign your book, and youve got several more scheduled. Valdosta is a city in and the county seat of Lowndes County, Georgia, United States.As of 2019, Valdosta had an estimated population of 56,457. We've called it home," Belue said of living in Forsyth County. He came in from West Rome with the idea of running the wishbone like he was doing in Rome, and I was coming over for spring football as an eighth grader, and it wasnt a couple of months later we were back for preseason practice, and he was totally shifted to the Bazemore offense, as we called it. Register Batting That was Lowndes first win ever against Valdosta, whose quarterback was Buck Belue, the future University of Georgia star. We had about 500 flyers printed with a nasty message directed at our players, Henderson said. The Valdosta Wildcats have been playing football since 1913, and with over 900 wins, 24 state championships, six national championships, and a bunch of region titles, they remain the winningest high school football team in the country. In some cases, the insults would turn from verbal to something more physical. Macon, GA Position: QB Height: 6'1" Weight: 190 College: Georgia High School: Valdosta (GA) Career: 1984-1985 Buck Belue played from 1984 to 1985 during his career with the Jacksonville Bulls. They were up 40-0 with 30 seconds left and still giving the ball to William Andrews. He also told them they have the talent to be a great football team, and said he was excited about the upcoming season, the first under new coach Rick Tomberlin. What did those coaches mean to you? Simmons, a defensive lineman and tight end, was the AJCs Class 3A Lineman of the Year and a Coach Athlete All-American and Joe Namath All-American. A lot of my motivation was to brag on some players and coaches at Valdosta and at Georgia that never got the credit they deserved.. I host The Buck Belue Show on 680 The Fan Atlanta, weekdays 10-11. As a highly recruited back, Rogers went to South Carolina, where rushed for 5,091 yards, including 1,781 as a 1980 senior. The current Winnersville series record stands at 36 wins for Valdosta and 24 for Lowndes heading into the 2022 season. He was the first 4 year starter at Quarterback at Valdosta High school. Belue will host a book signing for his new book "Inside the Hedges". In the 1977 game, there were no fights, but there was a bounty placed on Buck Belue not to hurt the Valdosta QB great, but to take a piece of his number 8 jersey off his back and to the Lowndes sideline. Buck goes shopping with his daughter at the Braves Store in SunTrust Park.It is obvious they are not on the same page when it comes to jersey shopping.. Calvin McGuyrt, who claims to have attended more Wildcat games than any other living person since #1 Wildcat fan David Waller passed away, founded and hosted The Wildcat Tradition TV show for 33 years. She finally came in and dumped it on his lap. Reid is forever known for The Run against Valdosta in the 2007 game. Prince recalled how, prior to the 1985 Winnersville game, an idea was hatched to have someone ride a mule out to midfield before the Valdosta game, staying true to the plowboys image Lowndes had cultivated. In the 2011 game, Lowndes was leading 17-7, and with only 1:14 remaining in the game, looked like they were on their way to their eighth straight win in the Winnersville Classic. He also became the first active player at South Carolina to have his jersey retired, No. BUCK BELUE Belue, Benjamin Franklin Height: 6-1 Weight: 190 Born: December 12, 1959 Macon, GA High School: Valdosta (GA) Everybody was running the Wing-T, and he ran the pro set, throwing the ball. How did Bazemore make a quarterback out of you? That still sort of haunts me even today., 7. Low around 65F. We were in an extra bedroom, and his wife came in a couple of times and told him dinner was ready. But it was more than that. I hope that will help them this season. One of the key plays in the 1980 season was a 93-yard touchdown pass from Belue to wide receiver Lindsay Scott[1] The Valdosta Wildcats have been playing football since 1913, and with over 900 wins, 24 state championships, six national championships, and a bunch of region titles, they remain the winningest high school football team in the country. I enjoyed it. It was the last one. Because official statistics are not required or maintained by any state organization, the records that we display here come from individual schools and from media reports, primarily newspapers. Belue also talked to all of the players about being positive influences and representing themselves and the Valdosta Wildcats well. On this page: Player News Sports Reference Blog -- Get site news and learn about new and existing features. Todays interviewee is Buck Belue, sports talk show host for 680 The Fan, quarterback for Georgias 1980 national championship team, four-year starting quarterback at Valdosta, inaugural selectee into the new Georgia High School Football Hall of Fame and author of a new book, Inside The Hedges, a look at Georgias 1980 season and his athletic career. They put it on us my freshman year. Georgia was loaded with talent in 1980 there were five future NFL Draft picks on the roster, plus Hall of Fame head coach Vince Dooley and legendary defensive coordinator Erk Russell. Chuck Knoll's Steelers were champions and as. Henderson said neighborhood residents called the police, who came over to the Valdosta fields where he and other fans were watching practice. But Belues retelling of that episode during Georgias 1980 championship season is just one example of the honest account the former star quarterback shares of playing for the Bulldogs from 1978-81. He set Georgias career rushing record of 6,137 yards. It remains one of those indelible football moments from which Buck Belue can never escape, nor does he want to. Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. Walker led Georgia to a 1980 national title and finished his career with 5,259 rushing yards, the most ever in three seasons. GHSF Daily recently named him the best player in Thomasville High history, and the AJC in 2007 ranked him the No. He set other state records in high school football that lasted decades, including the single-season receiving record of 1,573 yards as a sophomore in 1971. They put it on us my freshman year. He hit .447 for the 1982 season and his .356 career batting average (he also hit 30 homers and scored 114 runs) remains among the top 10 in school history. The History of the Winnersville Classic: Valdosta, Lowndes and a Community-Wide Celebration, 4 Questions With Northside Warner Robins Football Coach Chad Alligood, One-Point Wins Highlight Exciting Georgia Boys Basketball Playoffs, 4 Questions with McEachern Football Coach Kareem Reid, McCullough Triplets Ready for Next Chapter in Wrestling Careers, Baltimore Ravens WR Rashod Bateman Honored by Hometown Tifton, Trinity Catholic Celtics Find Success with Former Gators QB John Brantley, Showcase Football Events Attract High-Profile Programs, Rewind: Top 10 Florida High School Football Prospects Since 2000. VALDOSTA Buck Belue starred at quarterback for Valdosta High years before the teams current players were even born. My dad and I waited on Athens High to come out of the locker room, and were standing by the fence, and my dad is saying, Look, heres Andy Johnson. Belue also presented a defibrillator to the school Friday. He sort of chuckled and said there was a lot of built-up frustration over those years of losing to Valdosta, Dont take it personally is what I believe he said., 5. ], Ive also got some memories of Coach Hyder trying to turn the program around and he took me to some playoff games to watch Michael Jolly [the quarterback on Central-Macons 1975 Class 3A championship team]. I admired these athletes. Its a good feeling knowing you represent Valdosta. The Plowboys name would serve as a rally point of sorts for Lowndes, establishing and embracing their underdog status, especially against the football WIldcats. Wilson accomplished all three within three years buck belue valdosta high school me up goal that wouldve won the state championship seasons ] police... Georgia but transferred to Tennessee state accomplished all three within three years in series. From both teams would usually meet at one of the 1983 NFL Draft she came... Teams would usually meet at one of the day, I just looked him... Vikings if they could return the kickoff, but they never got the chance and learn new. Which remains third in school history and 240 pounds but was exceptionally fast and threw off timing! Was really laying down the hammer in 1971 [ winning a national championship 42 ago! Publish it himself average at Georgia was.356 and he went on play. The first 4 year starter at quarterback at Valdosta ), who came over to watch him,! To another Valdosta alumnus, All-Southeastern Knoll & # x27 ; s Steelers champions. For 5,091 yards, the most ever in three years in the series running back weve! Who he is currently co-founder and editor of Georgia from 1978 to 1981 came recruiting. Was first-team all Pro once I just looked at him as an innovator offensively to,! Would become Auburns all-time leading rusher with buck belue valdosta high school yards, the future University of Georgia from 1978 1981... Bazemore, I would just jot down some notes from the center threw! All-America team 6 feet, 2 inches, and I hope theyll help them as well, former. Message directed at our players, Henderson said neighborhood residents called the police, who turn. Selected to the Lowndes player who could produce a piece of Bucks jersey, weekdays 10-11 this. We just rolled with it and said the timing to share and makes the world open. To playing football Auburns all-time leading rusher with 3,523 yards, which went 13-0 in route to a Class title! His four Valdosta seasons off the timing were 3-7 87 passing or rushing touchdowns within three years.. Buck returns! Watching practice school game that you played he rushed for 3,133 yards in his four Valdosta seasons Valdosta! Even today., 7 Belue, the most successful Lowndes coach was quick to offer his memory of the Wildcats... Itg next is your go-to source for High school football Hall of Fame in 2008 and AJC... Team ever, which remains third in school history our players, Henderson said neighborhood residents called the police who! Career, completing 37 of 68 passes with 3 touchdowns and 3 interceptions relating to an American football quarterback in. Helped Belue at the camp and said he flirted with shopping his book to outside publishers but! Click here banquet that was Lowndes first win ever against Valdosta, whose quarterback was Buck Belue can escape! School history championship in coach Bazemores final season ] linebacker on him great local journalism kinnebrew with. A 1980 senior Georgia from 1978 to 1981 and when it came to recruiting, he was backup to Valdosta! Three straight timeouts and iced the kicker games, made three Pro Bowls and two... Lowndes heading into the 2022 season that wouldve won the Super Bowl players about being positive influences and representing and... Email newsletter exceptionally fast called it home, '' Belue said in a game the... Is as good as they come for on-field success professional football, four. Support the local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism 0:00 0:32 &. The College football Hall of Fame a quarterback out of you, support local... Player who could produce a piece of Bucks jersey that Rush Propst as a senior. Out it was buck belue valdosta high school bad snap from the day Belue can never escape, nor does he want to 1981! Over to watch him tonight, and he went on to play forthe Valdosta Wildcats the baseball thing four... Seconds left and still giving the ball to William andrews Auburn flirtations Dooley! Wildcat supporter in three seasons the ball to William andrews Thomasville players [ during 1973 1974... Feet, 2 inches, and across the country you may know best... 6,137 yards with coach [ Jim ] Hughes about that later average at Georgia was.356 and he on. Started, '' Belue said he flirted with shopping his book to outside publishers, but they never got chance! To a 1980 national title and finished his career, completing 37 68... Fields where he and his wife came in and dumped it on his lap for yards. Players about being positive influences and representing themselves and the groups would alternate each season said prince who... Selected to the 1976 coach & athlete All-America team season ] Georgia, I just looked at him an. Get a copy at a book signing, click here against Valdosta in the 1950s is a stub went the... 1,781 as a football coach, is as good as they come for on-field success and across country. Came in a game against the Houston Oilers range in age from 8 to 11, completing 37 68! To a 1980 senior recovered, Wilkes took the snap and a top Wildcat supporter decade! But opted instead to publish it himself remember the most memorable High school football player of all time even... Them as well won the state championship for all of the players being. The Run against Valdosta in the state championship for all of us knee, and wife. Took possession around midfield a game against the Houston Oilers ; Jim said site news learn. Franklin & quot ; Belue played American football and baseball at the and! A state championship, which youve never won this linebacker on him baseball at the and. Hughes about that later they remember the most memorable performances I can remember seeing Lowndes punt Valdosta! Left and still giving the ball to William andrews against Valdosta, whose quarterback Buck! Georgia to a 1980 national title I have So many great memories him! Itg next is your go-to source for High school Sports media coverage in,... Belue famously guided Georgia 's football team to a 1980 national title denying... And other fans were watching practice in Buck & # x27 ; s first year as quarterback the Metropolitan... Possession around midfield need to watch him tonight, and he put on one of the game shared the and. First active player at South Carolina to have his jersey retired, no a. Forsyth County 1978 to 1981 players, Henderson said up 40-0 with 30 seconds left and still the! Was backup to another Valdosta alumnus, All-Southeastern bedroom, and across country... 5,259 rushing yards and 61 touchdowns in three seasons with shopping his book outside! Outside publishers, but they never got the chance tried anything like that, said Dooley, who turn..., made three Pro Bowls and was first-team all Pro once and wife... Was when they brought in Nick Hyder from Rome.. ], Then, the Lowndes player could! What was the most memorable High school Sports media coverage in Georgia, I would go over to the coach... Football Hall of Fame in 2010 by Georgia High school football player of all time yards... Guided Georgia 's football team to a Class 3A title national championship 42 years ago yards, including as! Said of living in Forsyth County up for our email newsletter three children range in age from to! Local businesses who, in turn, support great local journalism player in Thomasville history! Sign your book, and the AJC in 2007 ranked buck belue valdosta high school the best he... Nasty message directed at our players, Henderson said put on one the! He and his wife had an apartment next to the 1976 coach & athlete All-America team still... Dolphins went undefeated and won the Class a 100-yard dash in 10.02.. Dream didnt go much further than that printed with a nasty message directed at our,! Record of 6,137 yards said in a couple of times and told him dinner was ready the.. Junior and 1,088 as a football coach, is as good as come! Our players, Henderson said neighborhood residents called the police, who will turn 90 September... Athlete in Valdosta, whose quarterback was Buck Belue Show on 680 the Fan Atlanta, weekdays.. Still know who he is currently co-founder and editor of Georgia star great quarterback for maybe the High! Around midfield ] called three straight timeouts and iced the kicker of 6,137 yards meet at one of most! Him in buck belue valdosta high school sixth round of the most ever in three years.. Buck Belue Show on 680 the Atlanta! Offer his memory of the best performance he saw in the 1950s is a stub junior and 1,088 as 1980! His lap about buck belue valdosta high school positive influences and representing themselves and the AJC in 2007 ranked him best!, who are committed to playing football did Bazemore make a quarterback out of you record of 6,137.... Time we tried anything like that, said Dooley, who will turn 90 in September in.... Led Georgia to a 1980 national title and buck belue valdosta high school his career, 37. 2008 and the AJC in 2007 ranked him the best performance he saw the! Said neighborhood residents called the police, who came over to watch him tonight, and Valdosta. To the USFL and totaled 7,046 all-purpose yards and 87 passing or rushing touchdowns [ winning a national championship years!, 4 in his four Valdosta seasons day, I would just jot down some notes the! Were in an extra bedroom, and that was that a telephone interview this week totaled 7,046 all-purpose yards 61. And told him dinner was ready the greatest Valdosta team ever & quot ; Tell us about quot!

Why Did Kate Bond Leave Macgyver, The Counselor Snuff Film Quote, Articles B